Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Iontophoresis to reduce heel spur size

Posted by Gina on 4/29/98 at 16:40 (000088)

Have had PF for over a year and tried all the usual: taping, NSAIDS, ice, stretching,ultrasound, Birks, cortisone shots, orthotics, night splint (which started my improvement). Now I am back in physical therapy and getting iontophoresis, in which electrical energy is used to get acetic acid (vinegar!) into the spur to reduce its size. This 8-minute protocol is followed by ultrasound to disperse the acid. Have had 5 treatments, with 4 to go and have had about 50% improvement. Pain has dereased in general and I can stand and walk with less pain...although at this point, a 15 minute dog-walk still hurts
Am hoping for continued improvement; who knows???

As the physio guy told me: you've tried everything else, might as well try this! Anyway else try this method? Any good results?

Re: Iontophoresis to reduce heel spur size

JANIS, MA on 4/30/98 at 16:19 (000093)

I just finished ionto w/ cortisone for carpal tunnel & had no luck.
so I was leary to try it on my spurs.... keep us posted!

Cindy on 4/30/98 at 17:55 (000094)

I had two treatments with high powered cortisone, but couldn't continue because the treatments caused a big flare up of my feet that lasted 3 or 4 days each time. I couldn't see any help, and saw no point in having a treatment that made me worse. I don't have the spurs, tho., just inflammation and probably tarsal tunnel.

Mike, P.T. on 8/31/98 at 19:27 (001532)

Use this procedure a lot with good results (90%acetic acid - not vinegar it is only 70%). Also tried Hi-volt e-stim to the bottom of foot to help reduce spasms brought on by pain.