Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Off topic, but..anyone hear of Cubital tunnel syndrome (elbow)?

Posted by Janis, MA on 5/13/98 at 12:21 (000138)

I have been diagnosed and suffering with carpal tunnel of right wrist..but also started with awful throbbing aching pain in medial
side of elbow (near funny bone) ulnar side. Dr says cubital tunnel, and I had to have a 'night splint' made to keep my elbow at a 47*
degree andgle so ulnar nerve rests in the cubital joint without over
flexing or extending. Almost sounds like the theory behind a lot of
heel spur treatments. Can anyone offer me some more info or comments?
Thanks-in-advance!

Re: Off topic, but..anyone hear of Cubital tunnel syndrome (elbow)?

Sue on 5/24/98 at 19:27 (000629)

Yes. I have cubital tunnel syndrome and wear a night splint on my elbow. It helps a lot.

You might be interested in the Sorehand discussion group

http://www.ucsf.edu/sorehand/

Johanna Rasmussen on 9/02/98 at 00:58 (001567)

I too have cubital tunnel. I am have already had the cubital tunnel release surgey on both elbows. I was told this was caused from my job (typing). I am intrested in sharing information with anyone who has this problem and what forms of treatment they have sought. I have only used night splints after surgery. My EMG's are still showing conduction problems. I am scheduled for nerve transpostion surgey next week.

Thanks in advance for your response

A Rodriguez on 9/18/98 at 16:51 (001900)

CTS, as described by my plastic surgeon,is a condition affecting the ulner nerve. it seems that the nerve becomes entraped in a way that restricts proper conductivity and in some cases requires it to be released and repositioned surgically. from what i understand there are three different techniques used for this procedure. ask your doctor to explain them to you and decide which he/she prefers to use.

N. Halberg on 9/20/98 at 17:39 (001935)

I have been diagnosed with cubital tunnel syndrom at the elbow. My wrist, 4th and 5th finger hurt very much. Numbness comes only at night. Will be using an elbow splint starting tomorrow, but if that doesn't help in 2 weeks then I am looking at surgery. What is the success rate and recovery of this type of surgery?

c. on 9/22/98 at 09:56 (001937)

Have been there, done that. I agree it is quite painful. Surgery is more painful. They do a gracious # on the bone, grinding it down. Power tools are on the list of pre-surgery necessities. Can't tell you it gets better immediately, as it has been 8 months since my 'grinding' and the sensation hasn't returned. Well, the back to normal bit hasn't. It takes alot of desynthasizing therapy. Don't try to lean on your elbows for a while. I'm sure after the elbow recoops, it will be worth while.