Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Training for marathon

Posted by Noelle on 5/13/98 at 13:06 (000139)

I have a slight case of PF and now can run without pain but...it has been 2 months since I ran and I want to run the Rock-N-Roll Marathon on June 21st. Does anyone have any suggestions about training without hurting myself? I need to put in some miles but I don't want to go back to the way it was. I am able to run for over an hour without pain now. Thanks for any ideas

Re: Training for marathon

ken on 5/13/98 at 16:08 (000140)

Buy the book called 'Running Injury Free'. I can't remember the author and I lent the book out. It's an excellent book for runners because it covers a bunch of different injuries and how to prevent them. I bought it at Borders books, but I bet Amazon and Barnes+Noble carry it too.

Are you an experienced marathoner? Going from 1 hour runs to a 3.5+/- hour run in 5.5 weeks without risk of injury sounds pretty agressive to me based on what I've read, particularly if you are already injury prone.

Have you done a foot evaluation to make sure you are wearing the right style shoe for your foot geometry and gait style? The above book takes you through all of that stuff.

You may want to consider wearing a set of night splints to make sure your achilles and fascia stay stretched out over night and do not stiffen up. A lot of runners squeak by with this method.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Noelle on 5/14/98 at 11:19 (000142)

Thanks for the reply! I have done one marathon and trained for another (I was training when I got the PF). I have orthodics and good shoes for this problem from a running store. When I got PF I was running with a friend getting ready for a marathon and also walking with another group of friends so I did 18 miles running and 20 miles walking in one weekend and I think that did it! I know-pretty stupid! I will buy that book! And I will take it one step at a time. Thanks again Ken!

Ken on 5/19/98 at 09:00 (000605)

The authors of 'Running Injury-Free' are Joe Ellis, DPM and Joe Henderson (columnist for Runner's World).