Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

surgery and long term results

Posted by Sue on 5/16/98 at 21:42 (000154)

Hello everyone -
I guess one thing that I want to stress to everyone, is that results are are so individualized for all -I had conventional surgery on my foot in January, 1998. I have PF in both feet, and have been dealing with this for over 2 1/2 yrs. Yes, my foot feels better than prior to the surgery. Pain free? No. My dr, (ortho surgeon, specializing in foot and ankle), says it will take over a yr to get to that point). He has done both EPF , and conventional. He would rather do the conventional, since he can see so much more. I guess what I'm saying, is don't be discouraged if what you are experiencing does not seem to match up with other people on this web site - EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.
Personally,I feel that yes, the surgery was worth it. I was home for 3 1/2 weeks non weight bearing, but I am much better than prior to the surgery. The other foot? I'm waiting for final results on the first foot
In another 6 months, I may have the other foot done. I'll let you know

Sue

Re: surgery and long term results

Jane on 5/17/98 at 15:26 (000156)

Please write me back with more info. I have seen a Podiatrist and an Orthopedic surgeon and neither one can help me. They refuse to do surgery because of the odds of success. I am in so much pain that somedays I can hardly walk 3 feet. Please help, I need advise

Lyn on 5/17/98 at 20:53 (000158)

I would agree that everyone heals at a different rate. I'm at 9wks post op conventional open PF surgery and would consider it a success, knowing that it does take up to a year to heal. I have no heel pain, only a little stiffness in the morning. I do, however, have some forefoot pain, which I hope is just not having the orthotic adjusted right for the new dynamics of my foot. I did have it in both feet, but the other foot is much better now that I had surgery. If you have surgery, you need to be very diligent about resting the foot. I was at home for 3 weeks and in bed most of that time. Then 1 more week on crutches, and 2 more in the cam boot. Patience is the key along with rest.

Sue on 5/17/98 at 22:33 (000159)

Jane-
Sent me a message if you want info ( or really a case history of myself!) There are alot of options out there....

sue

eileen on 5/18/98 at 10:02 (000162)

Hi, I had EPF in august 97 on my left foot, although it is better, it will never be 100%. I continue to experience pain with any walking for more than 1/2 mile, I still cannot bike or nordictrac withoout increased pain or discomfort. What has been great is that just daily errand and on my feet is 99% pain free . I did just recently restart the antinflamatory pill with permission from my primary and orthopedic Md so I can be more active without discomfort. So I have now gone for a short bike ride this week and a walk without pain. I will continue on these meds so I can be more active. I continue to stretch twice a day, and even recently went on vacation with extensive walking and did
fine. I choose not to do the other foot, since result were not what I wanted. I also take glucosamine sulfate 1000mg every day and calcuim which I do think helps a little. Good luck to you .

Jane on 5/18/98 at 19:42 (000603)

Sue, thank you for your kind words. I need a pick me up. Please E-mail me on any hope you can give me. I am at my wits end. Thanks a bunch

sue on 5/19/98 at 21:34 (000608)

my email address is coujur@aol.com - I don't know how much help I can give you, but alot of support
!

Paul on 5/23/98 at 16:57 (000619)

Hi: Had surgery in 1996 it did not work, in fact my problems got worse, Looking back I truly believe I got on it way to soon which probably nullified any sucess the surgery might have provided, my advice is to listen to what lyn had to say if you have it done stay off for probably longer than the doctor recommends, after all the dpm;s ect that I,ve seen I believe they are clueless as to the amount of time a person should really take after surgery, listen to your body and not them, I overdid it and have been paying for it every since, be patient and careful careful careful if you have it done. LUCK TO YA!

mark on 5/30/98 at 20:58 (000678)

Eileen, MAY 30, 1998
There is now a product CORAL CALCUIM that you can take that
has all the minerals including calcuim, magnesium, sodium, potassium
,essential trace minerals and many other elements essential to the
body. In addition it contains antioxidants known to help protect
the body from free raducal damage.These minerals and elements become
ionic in water and are promptly bioavailable to the cells. It is
documented that up to 150 deseases are related to calcium deficiency.
But in order for calcium to do its work the body must convert it to
an ionic form. That problem is solved as the CORAL CALCUIM becomes
ionic immediatey in water for use by the body.

FACT: THERE IS MORE CALCUIM IN THE BODY THAN ANY OTHER MINERALS. 20%
OF AN ADULTS BONE CALCUIM IS REABSORDED AND REPLACED EVERY YEAR.
ALKA-MINE CORAL CALCUIM INCLUDE PARTIAL OR TOTAL RELIEF FROM SYSTOMS
OF: ARTHRITIS, INDEGESTION, HEARTBURN, OVER-ACIDITY, FATIGUE,HEADACHE
OSTEOPROSIS, DIABETES, ALLERGIES, YEAST INFECTIONS,BREATHING DISORDERS,
COLD/FLU, BONESPURES,GALLSTONES,GOUT,ULCERS, AND THE LIST GOES ON.

TAKE A MINUTE AND CHECK THE LIST BELOW.CORAL CALCUIM COULD HELP YOU

MAITAIN OPTUMUN ALKALINITY FOR OPTIMUM HEALTPROVIDE YOU EASILY ABSORDED AND USABLE CALCUIM
CLEANSE THE KIDNEYS, INTESTINES AND LIVER
MAINTIAN STRONGER BONES AND HEALTHIER TEETH
ALEVIATE INSOMNIA
KEEP YOUR HEART BEATING REGULARLY
HELP METABOLIZE YOUR BODY'S IRON
AID YOUR NERVOUS SYSTEM
BREAKDOWN HEAVY METALS AND DRUG RESIDUES IN YOUR BODY
ACHIEVE A HEALTHY ALKALINE LEVEL, NEUTRALIZING ACID
PROTECT YOUR BODY FROM FREE RADDICAL DAMAGE
CONTROL DEGESTIVE PROBLEMS
INCREASE MUSCLE AND JOINT MOBILITY
COMBAT ARTRITIC CONDITIONS AND HEART DISEASE

madeleine on 9/07/98 at 18:03 (001678)

I had a bunionectomy and osteotomy two weeks ago. My foot feels like a piece of lead. Can anyone tell me what I am experiencing? Is this edema? I am not taking any medication. None was prescribed. What remedy can I use? I am in utter agony.