Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Has anybody tried a cast? Did it help?

Posted by scott r on 3/29/98 at 18:10 (000450)

If you have tried a cast, please describe your experience with it in a reply to this message.

Re: Has anybody tried a cast? Did it help?

Merlyn on 5/06/98 at 20:55 (000119)

I HAVE A RUPTURED PLANTAR FASCIA SINCE AUGUST OF 1997..WAS IN A CAST FOR APPROX. 8 WEEKS. I WISH I HAD TRIED IT BEFORE IT ACTUALLY RUPTURED. IT GAVE ME COMPLETE RELIEF OF PAIN...UNFORTUNATELY WHO CAN GO THRU LIFE IN A CAST. I AM MISERABLE

Lyn on 3/31/98 at 19:22 (000472)

I tried a cam boot walker full time for 6 weeks. The only thing it did for me was to keep me from limping and irratating my right foot. I had surgery 3 weeks ago and am doing well.

Margaret on 4/01/98 at 13:56 (000474)

I have been in a cast for 5 weeks. One more week to go. My doctor believes now that I have a stress fracture as well as PF (because it still hurt into the 4th week. I can't get the bone scan because they inject a dye and I am nursing a baby now.

Mike on 4/03/98 at 23:07 (000491)

Good luck! When you are ready to loose the cast, please go to a Pedorthist to make sure your shoes are not part of the problem. Your dr may suggest orthotics also. Believe it or not, many PF problems are started and perpetuated by wearing the wrong type or size of footwear.
That is why pain often returns even after successful treatment.
Get a good fit (arch length not toe length) and avoid shoes that are rounded on the bottom from side to side. These are killers for PF.