Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

SURVEY: POST YOUR BEST TREATMENT FOR PF HERE

Posted by Karl on 5/22/98 at 21:58 (000614)

Out of all the various treatment options, list your most recommended treatment under this posting. Maybe we'll find helpful results from the answers.

Re: SURVEY: POST YOUR BEST TREATMENT FOR PF HERE

Brenda on 5/22/98 at 22:13 (000615)

Karl, the thing that helped me best and I recommend to others is taking an plastic bottle and freezing water in it. Then I use it to ice my foot by rolling it back and forth. Ice packs really do help. Also wearing shoes and orthodics all the time helps. When I take one step without either I can tell. That is when my foot will start hurting. Beach shoes in the shower also. I do miss going barefoot.
I look forward to reading the favorites of others.

Melissa on 5/22/98 at 23:16 (000617)

The cortisone shot I had on Monday, 5/18 has been by far the best treatment I've tried so far. It was given in the inside of the heel, not the bottom of my foot. The shot hurt, but not as bad as some of the shots I've had in my ankle. The podiatrist thought I was going to have to have EPF this summer, so he tried this as a last resort after stretching, anti-inflammatory medications, heel cushions, and a night splint. I've been completely pain free since Wednesday. I was lifting heavy boxes this morning packing up my classroom so it can be renovated, and I felt not so much as a twinge. I'm pretty confident that even if the pain comes back, one more shot should cure me for good. The swelling in the fascia has gone down so much I can actually feel a difference when I press on the bottom of my foot.

Rita on 5/23/98 at 08:11 (000618)

Good shoes, with a heel that is at least 1 inch higher than the sole,
stretching, and glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin, have helped me tremendously. I am now walking for 30 or more minutes a day, again.
And habe gone back to exercise, aerobic class again. I find when I wear improper shoes, my heels begin to hurt again.
Rita

Diane R. on 5/23/98 at 18:28 (000622)

Karl, (Following 4 bad yrs) The unequivical answer is wearing Birkenstock -Arizona style - 100% for 3 mths. Then I added Glucosamine and Calcium with magnesium which got the last little pain. I am now pain free and starting to wear other shoes for a few hours at a time. I stand at work on concrete floors. Friday was there running around from 7:50 a.m to 6:45 p.m. Today, Sat. went shopping with my hubby. No pain. I'm alittle fatigued at now 6:30 p.m. but it was a good day. It's pretty convincing evidence that conservative treatment can work - What else can I conclude, when I used to limp all the time and hurt pretty much 24 hrs. a day by the end of my last painful PF year!

MERLYN on 5/23/98 at 18:34 (000623)

Beware of cortisone shots...they provide wonderful but short lived relief. My PF ruptured and this is a very serious complication. I wish I hads tried a cast sooner..it may have saved alot of misery. Always wear a supported shoe....the first step out of bed I put on my birks...STILL WAITING FOR A MIRACLE
!

Lynn on 5/23/98 at 20:30 (000624)

Without a doubt, and after 8 months of pain, the absolute best step was buying Mephisto shoes. I continued with my exercises, stretches, ice, etc., etc., but those shoes seemed to be what pushed me from feeling somewhat better into almost a cure.

Karl on 5/24/98 at 17:04 (000628)

Under this posting and others so far, I see a lot of support for glucosamine, calcium, and magnisium. I don't think I've ever seen anything negative about these treatments. I've been taking them and I also support the findings. Not only do they help treat PF, but they are good for overall health for connective tissue and bones.

Ed on 5/26/98 at 13:53 (000642)

(1) New, good shoes with heel cushioning & arch support. You should feel the difference at once. Extra orthotics shouldn't be necessary. Wear them at home and at work. Never go barefoot.

(2) Ice 30 minutes each morning and if daily activities produce soreness.

(3) Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories

I pursued all 3 above and have no further inflamation after 4 months. My calf & ankle muscles continue to be tight or stiff first thing in the morning, but the tenderness is gone after less than five minutes standing or walking.

Shaira on 6/11/98 at 13:39 (000745)

Get a foot massager machine, like the Footsoother (from Sharper Image). I've been taking glucosamine/chondroitin for a while, and some days are better than others. I think the vitamins help. I've been think about the Alexander Technique lately. I'll surf around and get back to the newsgroup about it.

alice on 9/23/98 at 21:33 (001940)

where can you buy Mephisto shoes???