Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

going barefoot and birkenstocks

Posted by Will Martin on 5/27/98 at 20:37 (000651)

I just found out today that I have pf. I read somewhere today that I should never go barefoot. Does this include even in the house in the morning and at night? Also I am thinking of looking into some birkenstocks. Do you wear the sandals alone or with some kind of arch support. Thank you in advance for any answers you may have.

Re: going barefoot and birkenstocks

Brenda on 5/27/98 at 21:11 (000652)

Will, the one thing I miss most is going barefoot. Everytime I do I
reinjure my foot. It may not hurt at that moment but later the same day. I also wear beach shoes in the shower. I've never had the birkenstocks so I can't help you there. I do wear New Balance that have wedges to keep my feet level and also soft orthodics. The hard type make my feet worse. Good luck Brenda

Re: going barefoot and birkenstocks

Cindy on 5/28/98 at 12:38 (000654)

Hi, Yes, it is important to never go barefoot. I keep my shoes right by the bed, and put them on as soon as I get up, even if its in the middle of the night. I use Teva type sandals in the shower. Once, I was awakened by the phone at 2 am, and ran thru the house barefoot to get it in the kitchen, and my feet were terribly inflamed for around 10 days. I will never make that mistake again. Please read thru the web page carefully, and take this condition seriously. If I had done that at the beginning, I could have saved myself a lot of pain and long-term disability, not to mention surgery! Best of luck.