Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Spurs, Plantar Fasciitis or What???

Posted by Tony on 6/03/98 at 04:07 (000697)

The pain in my heels is best described as a dull ache, standing for longer than a few minutes exascerbates the pain to the point of becoming extremely uncomfortable, the pain subsiding within a couple of minutes after taking the weight of them.
If forced to stand for long periods (hours) the pain becomes excruciating taking a day or more to recover (the longer I stand the longer the recuperation period).
Unlike everyone else it seems, walking (briskly) or running does not affect them.
I have very high insteps and currently wear orthotics to relieve the pain in my instep.
I have performed seated calf raises for over ten years (bodubuilder), I have extremely strong calves muscles which never get sore or tired.
Can someone please advise me, I am too young to retire?

Re: Heel Spurs, Plantar Fasciitis or What???

Cindy on 6/03/98 at 13:03 (000700)

Tony: Do you have any diagnosis from a dr? If not, I recommend that you see one right away. Preferably a foot dr or ortho that specializes in feet. Like you, when this first started, I didn't have as much pain walking as just standing. So, I kept walking and overdoing it, and now I am pretty much disabled. I can stand for 10 minutes or less, and only walk very briefly. I sit in the shower, I sit to brush my teeth or cook. I do a lot of sitting, my exercise routine (power walking 4 miles daily, weight lifting, and scuba diving) have gone out the window. Please see a good dr and get on a program to heal your feet before its too late. There are thousands of good tips on this webpage; its all trial & error, but icing and stretching seem to help most folks. Good luck.

Sue on 6/04/98 at 14:56 (000706)

Have you tried padded heel cups? They helped my aunt.

scott on 6/04/98 at 16:56 (000708)

It could very well be a stress fracture caused by the weight lifting. Is it possible you've pounded hard enough on the calcaneous to injure the bone?

Dave on 6/06/98 at 10:09 (000717)

Tony: I hesitate to share this approach because it's unusual, but you may find it helpful. My feet and legs began bothering me when I was 9 or 10 years old, the pain caused me to slow down and I gained a great deal of weight. I lost the weight in my late teens, although I did not understand how it happened. The weight returned in my early 30's and I started a jogging program. Eventually my feet and legs began bothering me again, even causing a lot of back pain. At the recommendation of a friend I went to a pedorthist, an old German follow, who had a very good reputation. He listened to my complaints, i.e. can't stand flat footed, walk on the outside edges of my feet, pain under the arch and up the back of the legs etc. He looked at my feet and said my problem could be easily fixed if I would follow his advice. He then took my foot by the heel and toes and forced it into an extreme kink, the heel much higher than the toe. He said that if I wore a shoe like this an hour or two a day my problem would vanish. I paid him and went for a second opinion.
I consulted a podiatrist who said that I thought I had flat feet but actually had a high arch, which had been pulled flat be very strong leg mussels. He said that unless I had an operation, the shoe approach was a good one. So I bought a pair of riding heel boots and started wearing them. It has worked like magic, the pain is gone, even the calluses and corns on my toes are gone or diminished and my feet have shrunk two or three shoe sizes. This approach has worked for over 20 years and explained what happened in my youth when I had worn boots part of the time and lost weight, (I never made the connection between the boots and the reduction in pain). At present I walk five or six miles a day without pain if I don't go over two or three days without the boots. Hope you find this useful.

khoward805 on 6/14/98 at 21:31 (000766)

Karen Howard on 6/14/98 at 21:33 (000767)

Is it heel spurs when you go to stand up and barely can? It;s only on the left heel. After you walk awhile it's ok but still there. Am I just getting old? I'm only 44.

Jim Hastrup on 6/15/98 at 02:45 (000768)

I had heel pain from a spur and a doctor told me to walk on the beach in the soft sand. I did it for a couple of weeks and the pain went away. Hope you live near a beach.

sandy rechel on 10/11/98 at 20:13 (001955)

Just thought I would post a message to help anyone who is having problems with heel spurs or plantar fasciitis. I have been in bad pain for almost 2 years now. I finally had to get a good shoe to go to Disneyland with. I discovered that the Prowalker (women's or mens) by Rockport was absolutely wonderful for the long walking I had to do. Granted, my feet were tired, but the heel pain was 75% reduced and that made my trip worthwhile. Get Rockport...

Sandy on 10/15/98 at 20:57 (001957)

Well, they say it isn't the actual spur that hurts, but I disagree. Plantar Faciitis hurts on the bottom of the foot and heel, my pain is on the side of the heel on inside. I think that is the spur, but not sure. Either way, one of the two things hurt constantly. Contact your doc, get an xray - then you have someting to go on.

sue on 2/06/99 at 00:00 (004560)

Pain in right heel. Pain in the morning , limping when I get out of bed.
Pain after sitting when I go to walk. The pain is always there sometimes
it is more intense then others. Pain when I apply pressure to my heel.
Is this a heel spur? What treatment is used to stop or reduce the pain?