Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

birkenstock and persistence

Posted by eileen on 6/22/98 at 13:09 (000812)

hi everyone,
I am a 2 plus year survivor of pf, and after having every usual rx for this finally had epf 10 months ago, with only mild sucess from the sugery. So after 2 year I still continued to have mild pain, and could only wear reebock dmx's with orthotic. Every time I tried any other shoe or sneaker I would have pain after 10 min. which would last for days. I tried birkenstocks sandal-the arizona style and one with a back strap with the same pain, was unable to wear them without severe pain. But persistence does pain off. I bought a third pair this time the Monterey style with 2 thick straps one at the toes and one across the top of the foot. I have been wearing them pain free now for 4 days. Its really amazing I can wear them without pain. I do notice some slight discomfort after changing to reebocks under the heel of my feet but I am hoping that with continous use this will pass. But would like to know if anyone elese experienced any discomfort getting use to the birkenstock. I am able to walk in them pain free, but when I am a rest or change to athletic sneaker is when I notice the sl pain. I still stretch twice a day, wear orthotic in the reebocks, take glucosomine 1000 mg/day, 1200mg Calcuim. Any other suggestions would be great.

Re: birkenstock and persistence

Diane R. on 6/22/98 at 17:00 (000816)

Good for YOU
Glad to hear you are doing so well. I wore Birks 100% for 3 mths... and even since now after over a year - almost 100%. I can now wear other shoes and not get the pain you talk about but did experience it in the beginning. That's what told me my feet were not all 'healed' yet and I felt I shouldn't wear any other shoes until they were.

It is worth it to be persistent however, and I truly believe the 100% approach will get you to pain free, all time, the fastest. It did take a long, long time before I could wear other shoes and not get the pain you describe. Each time I wore a different shoe too soon, I had a small set-back. That's what I believe you are experiencing now when you wear your athletic sneakers.

The Arizona style just happened to be the ones I started with and are very similar to the style you describe. I believe the key is the proper fit and also to NOT have a back strap. I could go on about why that is but won't bore everyone. Feel free to e-mail me directly if you what to talk anymore about all this.

This is such a good site, and I like to keep informed, also... I have a 'paranoid' feeling that my PF pain could come back if I do something stupid (must be something about 4 yrs of pain and limping that has made me this way) - so I keep my eyes on the new postings from time to time just in case ... and add my 2 cents now and then if I think I can help someone or encourage them ...

Here's wishing you continued improvement... you sound like you are on the road to recovery. I have heard from many people over the last year+ that doing just as well with the birks, so I know it can be done! Diane R.

Lynette on 7/20/98 at 15:58 (001036)

I'd like to hear why you disfavor birks with backstraps and any other birk knowledge you might wish to impart. I've had PF for about four years now, the last three being relatively pain free (a past situation I'm extremely grateful for after reading about so much suffering assoiciated with this condition). During my 'pain-free' interim, I only wore arizonas around the house, and for all other, out-of-house activity used closed shoes with my orhodics. Well, I suffered a reinjury about a month and half ago and have gone through the usual panic of potential remedies. It hasn't gotten ANY better, and I have thus hopped footlong into the Birkenstock bandwagon. I recently bought a back-strapful pair (milanos, I think), a pair of betulas (closed shoe birks) for work and water-resistant birkies for poolside and showering (as you can see, I'm in that familiar, desperate phase). I'm not sure whether or not this footware is helping. I always wear my arizonas around the house, but I find that if I have to do a little walking (say, a couple of blocks), my arch feels like it's tearing with ANY of the birks I wear (including the broken-in arizonas). I'm wondering if the birks don't provide enough arch support or if I'm just not allowing myself to get used to them for lengthier walking. When I'm not wearing these, I wear a really cushy reebox walking shoe with othodics. With these the heel pain is more intense, but there is no tearing sensation. Any info is much appreciated. -Lynette

Ron on 9/13/98 at 02:09 (001808)

Hi,

I have had PF for the better part of this year and this summer began wearing Arizone Birks continuously. I have finally had my PF clear enough that I am basically pain free. I bought orthotics at double the cost of the Birks but they didn't provide better results. I have found however, that if I go back to dress shoes with hard soles, the PF flares up a bit. I also found that going barefoot rather than with socks also provided better results though I don't know why. A salespeson said going barefoot causes more exercising of the arch. Any similar experiences?

Ron on 9/13/98 at 02:10 (001809)

Hi,

I have had PF for the better part of this year and this summer began wearing Arizona Birks continuously. I have finally had my PF clear enough that I am basically pain free. I bought orthotics at double the cost of the Birks but they didn't provide better results. I have found however, that if I go back to dress shoes with hard soles, the PF flares up a bit. I also found that going barefoot rather than with socks also provided better results though I don't know why. A salespeson said going barefoot causes more exercising of the arch. Any similar experiences?