Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is there anyone who has had a workman's comp case re PF due to a job where you have to stand all day?

Posted by kzeus on 6/26/98 at 21:11 (000860)

I have PF, and like all of you out there, I have good days, and bad days. My workman's compensation carrier recently turned my case down based on 2 factors. #1) that my standing on my feet did not contribute to it and #2) that continued standing on my feet has not exacerbated my problem. It's the #2 that I'm having a problem accepting.

I am not overweight, have never had any feet problems (or health problems, for that matter), and am a very sedentary person - have never been a runner, or played sports, etc. I am a teacher and the type of work I do requires for me to stand on my feet for 6-7 hour a day. I have initiated a workman's compensation claim, although I love my job, and hope that my PF will never be so crippling, but rather am doing it to document that I do have this condition, so that if I ever do have to have surgery or take time from work it will have been documented.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has been through a workman's comp case that involves PF, or any related sites that would help me to understand whether I have a legitimate case. Please feel free to e-mail me privately if you do not wish to post. Thank you in advance.

Re: Is there anyone who has had a workman's comp case re PF due to a job where you have to stand all day?

Rita on 6/27/98 at 13:32 (000865)

I never had a workman's comp case, but it is interesting that you are a teacher, I am too. It seems, from what I've read in these posts that many of us teach. I cannot say that mine came from the job, I attribute my PF to a new dog and long long walks with improper shoes.

Re: Is there anyone who has had a workman's comp case re PF due to a job where you have to stand all day?

Marti on 6/28/98 at 12:08 (000868)

Although I have not filed a W/C action on this malady, I have filed due to another injury. It is a long uphill battle and I wish you luck.

I believe my PF is due to my last job where I sometimes stood on my feet 12-15 hours at a time. Many times there was not even a chair to sit down on and since I worked alone there were no breaks.

I think you are smart to document everything regarading this should you need it in the future. A paper trail is really important if and when you need to retain an attorney as I did. Make sure you have copies of the original report of work injury and any correspondence between you, the insurance carrier and your employer regarding this. The more documentation regarding your complaints, the better.

Best of luck.

Brenda on 7/01/98 at 23:32 (000903)

I am currently in the middle of a WC claim with my PF. It is very distressing and sometimes I wish I had never started it. I have been to six DR's. and all of them say it is work related. My employer has been very good to date. I am on 80/20 standing/sitting restrictions and have been doing temporary jobs for 2 years. Also I have a permanant prescription for shoe and orthodics 2 times a year. My problem is none of the Dr's. have given me an impairment rating which is what WC centers on. One Dr. said you can't do an I.R. on pain. Pain is a sympton and since nothing shows up on x-ray I am having a struggle. I work in a factory and all I really want is help in retraining. A career change has been suggested as the best choice for me. I am in TN and if anyone has any insight please e-mail me.
Good luck Brenda