Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A cast to rest my foot????

Posted by DaNita on 7/08/98 at 20:57 (000942)

Well, it has been almost 3 months since my last surgery, No results as of yet, I cannot even make it around the block walking. So doctor has me in a cast that is tilted down as if walking on tip toes. Needless to say I am on crutches. Her theroy is to rest my foot. I have been resting my foot for 2 yrs now and it hasn't helped yet. My other foot is so bad I can hardly get around on the crutches. Will this nightmare ever end?

Re: A cast to rest my foot????

Gina on 7/09/98 at 22:14 (000954)

Got my 'walking cast' on June 25 and had what felt like a severe flare up of PF pain. After a week of that, I was put on crutches to be 'non-weight bearing.' During the week on crutches, I still experienced an ache in my heel, when resting the foot on floor while sitting. Will get the cast off in another week and am not optimistic about the results (cast is coming off a week early--after 3 weeks rather than 4). Now Dr. wants to do EMG for nerve impairment, but since I was doing better before casting, I think I will wait and see how things go for a few weeks when the cast is off. What i was told is that the cast is supposed to help because the foot is immobilized in the 'proper' position at all times, rather than just being rested--you can take that for what it's worth
I am truly coming to understand the meaning of desperation :) Good luck with it!

Paul on 7/20/98 at 17:44 (001038)

I,ve been thru casting on two different ocasssions they put the cast on me forcing my foot the opposite way your stating yours is? the premise on my casting was to keep the muscle stretched I don,t think having your toes down stretches anything so I have to wonder what their trying to accomplish? by the way I still have problems, but at the time I was having a terrible inflamation problem and the casting did help get that under control. Good luck

Merlyn on 7/22/98 at 04:48 (001044)

EVERYBODY RESPONDS DIFFERENTLY, I TRY ANYTHING FOR RELIEF, FOR ME THE CAST WAS A RELIEF FROM CONSTANT PAIN. I HAVE BEEN WITHOUT THE CAST SINCE MARCH AND AM DOING FAIR. I STILL HAVE PAIN, BUT FOR ME HAVING 3 MONTHS IN A CAST WAS THE ONLY TIME I DID NOT HAVE PAIN...I FAILED TO MENTION THAT MY PLANTAR FASCIA HAD RUPTURED AND MY ARCH COLLAPSED...MY THOUGHT IS IF I HAD GONE TO A CAST SOONER THIS MAY NEVER HAVE HAPPENED. I HAD EVERY THERAPY THAT WAS PRESCRIBED. I MUST ADD THAT CORTISONE INJECTIONS CAN WEAKEN THE AREA...THIS IS WHAT THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA DOCTORS TOLD ME...AND THE PROBABLE REASON FOR RUPTURE. GOOD LUCK