Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Night Splint Experience

Posted by Kathy on 7/29/98 at 07:21 (001122)

I am curious to know what experiences others have had with using night splints. I got one for my rt foot and have tried to wear it every night. I'm finding that I usually can't make it through the night without my foot falling asleep or experiencing swelling and pain in my ankle. I got the splint from an Ortho. It is a PF stretching splint. I would appreciate any input/advice from others who have used night splints.

Re: Night Splint Experience

Trudi on 7/30/98 at 14:31 (001149)

The night splint that I got from my doctor came with a removable wedge insert(it went between the bottom of your foot and the splint). When I told my doctor that I was having pain in the back of my ankle, he suggested that I remove the wedge. It made the world of difference. The wedge was over stretching the heel muscles. I can wear the splint now for any length of time. It really helps in the mornings, but as the day goes on, the soreness comes back. If your splints have the wedge, take it out and see if that makes a difference.