Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just diagnosed with PF

Posted by Carol on 8/10/98 at 19:11 (001262)

I just went to a podiatrist 8/3/98 after 2 - 3 months of heel pain.
I could hardly walk in the mornings or after sitting for a time. He
told me what the diagnosis probably was, took x-rays, gave me a
steroid/anti-inflammatory shot and told me what could be done for PF.
I went back today, I have a heel spur on my right foot but that is not the foot with extreme pain. I got relief for about 1 1/2 days then the pain came back. I just started walking about 3 months ago. I was
pretty much sedentary. He did not suggest any more shots for which I am glad, because it hurt. But he did suggest EPF. He wants me to make a decision on the surgery and get back to him.

I don't know what I should do. Reading this bulletin board and this
web page have made me more indecisive.

Hope someone can give me some insight.

Re: Just diagnosed with PF

ginny on 8/10/98 at 19:34 (001263)

Surgery should only be considered as a last resort. It can take months of conservative treatment before the 'cure'. (if there is such a thing) You will find a lot of suggestions and ideas while browsing through this message board. Stretching, icing, and birks are all mentioned often. You might consider a 2nd opinion before going along with surgery at such an early stage of your pf. Good Luck.

Re: Just diagnosed with PF

Debra on 8/10/98 at 20:21 (001267)

I agree with Ginny. I have been suffering for a long time, but only seeked treatment a year ago. There are only two things left that I have not tried; a cast, and surgery. I am really not favorable of the cast, because the splint has not worked long term for me, and I'm thinking the cast would only do the same. Try the stretching, icing, and exercises your doc. gives you before you consider the surgery.