Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

High arches and Hot painful feet

Posted by anita on 8/10/98 at 23:03 (001273)

I have been diagnosed with PF and was told that it was due to very high arches. I remember reading somewhere that people who have high arches have a lot of trouble wearing lace-up shoes or any type of shoe that encloses the foot. This is a problem that I am now experiencing as I try to find a comfortable pair of shoes to accomodate my orthotics. I can hardly stand wearing closed-in shoes for more than a few minutes especially in this hot summer weather. My feet get hot, itchy and burning and I feel no relief until I take my shoes off and we all know that we can't go barefoot with this awful condition.
Has anyone experienced this problem and any suggestions about a solution? I know that a lot of people have a lot of success with Birks but I need a much softer and more firm support than these offer. HELP

Re: High arches - Tatami Birkenstocks May be Good!

Diane R. on 8/14/98 at 20:33 (001318)

Anita - You mention you have very high arches. I believe Birkenstocks are the best answer for PF after having 4 bad yrs. and now pain free for more than a year. I got this far with birks full time 100%. I recently tried some different styles on and they had me put on a Tatami style because I have fairly pronounced arches - but they were too high and after standing in them (in the birk store) for about 10-15 min. I decided they would bring back my PF. But someone who truly has high arches may need this style. May be worth a try or you may try the standard Arizona style which is what works for most people the best. Good luck, Diane R.

Re: High arches and Hot painful feet

janet on 8/15/98 at 18:10 (001329)

Hi there--extreme heat in the foot is sometimes indicative of a neurological problem. You might want to get an EMG to rule this out.

Re: High arches and Hot painful feet

Rish Neiman PT on 10/27/98 at 17:54 (001963)

Talk to your doctor or physical therapist about the dorsiflexion night splint designed to stretch the plantarfascia while you sleep. Early studies have shown that plantarfasciitis pain has resolved in more than 70% of cases after 2 months. This may be a better solution than having to wear orthotics for the rest of your life. Orthotics can also be made for good support shoes that do not require lacing such as a loafer style.