Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Glucosamine and Chondroitin

Posted by Sue on 9/01/98 at 23:14 (001560)

Thanks for your advice to newbies.

I just started the Glucosamine and Chondroitin. I bought Osteo Bi-Flex and it cost $12.99 for 48 tablets--an 8 day supply. The package recommends 6 tabs a day--3 with breakfast and 3 with dinner. That totals 1500 mg glucosamine and 1200 mg chondroitin.

Sounds like you are taking more. What brand do you use?

Re: Glucosamine and Chondroitin

Rita on 9/06/98 at 21:33 (001660)

I usually take the Vitamin Shoppe's Glucosamine and chondroitin supplement. Sometimes they have really good sales on it, too. This last time I paid $40 for 120 tablets, right now I'm only taking 1 a day, which is 500mg GS and 400mg CS, my husband is taking 2 a day and the dog gets 1 a day for a sore hip. I've taken Costco's brand, too. Right now I feel that I've conquered my PF! We just got back from a week in Florida, where I wore flipflops and walked barefoot for a mile each day on the beach(had sore calves but not heels). Tuesday I return to the classroom, so we'll see. I cannot wear cheap shoes without support any more, gave them all to Good Will, do stretching exercises and feel good. Good luck to all!

Re: Glucosamine and Chondroitin

Ron on 9/13/98 at 02:24 (001810)

Glad to see someone else who found going barefoot helped! I also teach and was in Florida for part of the summer thus was barefoot most of it...and began taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin. My PF cleared-up in a couple of weeks and I have been basically pain free since (wearing Birks since back home). The G & C seems to help the PF though I began taking it for a sports-injury related arthritic hip.

Anything to going barefoot do you think?? Some have told me it adds to the PF injury but for me it seemed to help.