Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

It sounds crazy, but I'm still running as well

Posted by Susan on 9/10/98 at 03:34 (001750)

Hey, I also have PF, and got it about the same way as you explained. I trained for and ran a marathon in 1996, and was training for the same one in 1997. I switched running shoes, and increased my mileage, and wouldn't you know it--I started getting the heel pain
I had to drop out of the race because of the pain but also because of complications from allergies. Okay---I'm still running, and this is what I have found helps---1)STRETCH, STRETCH, STRETCH
! When your calf muscles, ie. heel cord in particular gets tight, it pulls on the area that is inflamed, causing MORE pain and inflammation. Do your typical calf stretches, and also add to it--while sitting straighten your knee out, and bring your foot into as much dorsiflexion (toes toward you). HOld this for at least 1 minute, and 2 if possible. 2) Ice after all of your runs (ice no more than 15-20 minutes) You may want to freeze ice in a dixie cup and roll your foot over it for this time. 3)get a golf ball and roll your foot over it 1 or 2 times a day. It actually feels good
4) you may want to put heat on your foot and then stretch on days off 5) Ibuprofen after running helps reduce inflammation 6) massage your foot
Not just the heel, but the heel cord and the middle of your foot to help loosen up the fascia. Also massaging the calf muscles will help. Respect the pain
If it is really hurting, try to modify your running schedule, and wait until a different day for your long run. Good luck
! You might even want to see a therapist for some ultrasound, phonophoresis, or iontophoresis. Hope you're able to do the marathon