Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain not better

Posted by C.J. Mitchell on 9/14/98 at 16:16 (001840)

I thought I would give my foot time to 'heal' while taped up, but it has only gotten worse. I do take pain meds, but they don't help at all.
If my foot doesn't feel like it is getting torn up by razor blades, the aches and swollen throbs make up for it.
Calling doctor doesn't seem to help, I don't know if he thinks I haven't given it enough time, but how long is enough? I know this is less than a week, but at this point, I would rather have someone cut my foot off than to go thru this pain.

Re: Pain not better

Rhonda on 9/14/98 at 19:15 (001846)

Dear C.J.
For some great information on PF and what to do go to this site: http://heelspurs.com/_intro.html
I don't want to sound too discouraging but it may be true that your doctor feels you haven't given it enough time. If it is indeed PF that you have it usually lasts from 6 months to 1 year. I've had it for 2 1/2 years now. I know that for the first year I could barely put my feet on the ground and was living mainly from 'chair to chair'. Complete rest is the best remedy but very frustrating and near impossible. It would be best to go to a physiotherapist for advice rather than your doctor ... a physio can try, ice, massage, ultrasound, taping and give you lots of info. on how to handle it. Have you seen a podiatrist? Have you had orthodics made etc.?
I hope your PF leaves soon and that you are able to find someone to give you some good advice. Reading the whole message board can be most beneficial. Best of luck. Rhonda

Janet on 9/14/98 at 20:58 (001852)

C.J. Mitchell,

I feel the same way you do when it comes to rather having your foot cut off......I have a confession to make....There have been times in the last 2 years that if it hadn't been for my baby and all of the love and responsibility I have for him, I would have already taken my life. This is complete honesty. He is the only thing that keeps me going.
This is the worse and hardest thing I have ever went through in my life.

roz on 9/15/98 at 14:18 (001865)

Hi Janet,

I feel the exact way about commiting suicide. At least consider
yourself lucky that you have a baby to live for. I have no
husband, baby and certainly don't want to live just for my
parents and siblings. I live alone and can't even take care of
myself.