Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Any home treatments for heel spurs?

Posted by Christine Ferro on 9/15/98 at 22:04 (001876)

I am a mother of 3 (7 and under) and recently developed a heel spur (confirmed by my podiatrist). He suggested aggressive treatment tonight which included some therapy and a cortisone injection and 2 week treatment of Naperxon. He says I need therapy at least twice a week. Besides the cost of it which I can't afford at this time, I don't have the time to physically go to his office twice a week nor do I want to have any more injections. Does anyone know of any home remedies (i.e. whirlpool baths, heat or ice, specific shoe inserts) ) that I could do when I have time in the day? Thank you.

Re: Any home treatments for heel spurs?

Josie on 9/15/98 at 22:21 (001877)

I FINALLY was able to get a referral from my doctor to see a podiatist. The only problem is that my appointment is WEEKS from now - October 5th! So, since I'm pretty upset at my present doctor for taking such a LONG time in getting me a referral, I had to find another way to deal with the pain until then. I just purchased a massaging foot spa (Homedics) and used it for the first time last night. I couldn't believe my foot felt ALOT better! I'm going to continue using it every day (or every other day) to see if my foot heals. I can't guarantee you that it will work for you, but it's a try! Good luck!

lilhurrica on 9/16/98 at 19:01 (001886)

try rolling a golf ball back and forth 40 times or better yet..freeze a20 0z water or soda bottle and roll that... ice for 20 min. and never go bare foot..i just had to be taken off anti-infams for rotting my stomach today was day 2 andouch.......

Norma on 9/16/98 at 19:13 (001891)

Try wearing good shoes like Dexter, Clarks, Rockport, Easy Spirit, Naturalizer etc.. The heel should be at least an inch higher than the sole. Do stretching exercises. Ice it if you can. Try glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin, 500 mg. 3 times a day with food, this will start to take effect in about 2 or 3 months. Expensive but worth it!
Good luck!

Tom on 11/29/98 at 18:04 (002430)

This may sound crazy, but I can only say that I'm in enough pain to try anything and I'm going to try it. I have been told by several PF sufferers, and read in a home medical type dictionary, that wearing cowboy type boots helps tremendously. The theory is, that the boots, with their unusually high heels, change the angle and amount of pressure on the heel. I know at least two individuals who swear by these type boots as the only thing that helped them. One had been through the spur removal surgery, only to have another one reappear about a year later. Since she started wearing cowboy er cowgirl type boots, she hasn't had further serious pain. She says if she walks bare foot or with flats or sneakers on for any extended length of time, she gets enough pain that she knows it's time to put the boots back on , and the pain goes away

Don't know about you, but I'm going to try it. Not that I'm particularly fond of cowboy boots, but at this point, I'd wear fuzzy rabbit slippers all day if it would help!