Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

has anyone tried acupuncture and/or other non-Western approaches?

Posted by alex horsley on 11/05/98 at 18:42 (002051)

I have been a PF sufferer for several months. I live in Hong Kong and my Western doctor has prescribed anti-inflammatories and physiotherapy, together with appropriate footwear. No major change - ongoing pain etc. I am visiting a Chinese doctor next week to discuss alternatives. Has anyone out there tried Chinese medical approaches - and if so, with what results???

Re: has anyone tried acupuncture and/or other non-Western approaches?

suzi on 11/05/98 at 20:38 (002055)

alex, I have had about 10 acupuncture sessions so far and my foot does feel better. It may not work for everyone, and you need to find the right doctor. This is my second shot at acupuncture, the first Dr. I went to did nothing for my foot. It is definitely worth trying, you have absolutely nothing to lose.

BEEJ on 11/06/98 at 10:35 (002058)

Yes, I had 11 acupuncture treatments (once a week) and while I got some relief, no cure. However, others have had fantastic success. Debbie, where are you? You might try to get to the other discussion site at delphi.com and find the plantar faciitis group to see the results this woman got. She says she is cured and I definitely believe it. You and other sufferers should try it--it has no side affects and if it works for you...fantastic!

debbie on 11/06/98 at 16:58 (002061)

I have had pf for two years, had to stop everything, couldn't walk across the room. I tried everything, including surgery on my left foot which only made it worse. I backed out of doing it to my right one and as a last resort I am having acu treatments. I have had 14 treatments, every other day and I can't believe how successful this has been for me. I don't understand why every single person on this board isn't looking into it. Make sure you go to someone who is qualified. My chinese Dr. studied for 7 years and acu was his major. He says it is a cure if you are in the 80% of people it will work for. He uses needles and suction magnets and also does acupressure. For the first time in 2 years I can actually walk at a fast pace, and not like a turtle. I can walk a mile and a half, FAST! I have been on a 2 wk break to rest the pressure points and my feet have not gotten worse. It will be 3 wks when I start back next Wed. I am so happy this is working and i plan on going back to aerobics soon. He thinks 7 more treatments will do itl Go for it

good luck, and keep us informed on YOUR success.

debbie on 11/06/98 at 17:02 (002062)

I'm glad you asked where I was. I wanted to stay away for a couple days because I am frustrated that more people here don't seem to be responding to my success. I want every one to try this. I thought they were all looking for some way to take away their pain. It has been almost 3 weeks since my last treatment and I am still walking at least a mile 5 days a week and my feet did not get worse. no side effects, safe, and a possible cure. Thanks. Debbie

debbie on 11/06/98 at 17:05 (002063)

Dear Suzi
I am glad you are trying the acu again. Are you going more often or what? I go every other day. I am resting my pressure points and my feet still feel good, almost no pain at all
! I start back again next Wed. Good Luck. Debbie

Diane F. on 11/06/98 at 18:27 (002067)

I would love to try what you are doing but cannot do it due to lack of money. But have been using the cal/mag tablets and vits and other method that have been talked about on here. I am happy it is working for you and hope you are cured one day :) Good luck and thanks for sharing your good news with us. Maybe someday I can afford to try it and see what happens but for now must do the best I can with the money I have now.

Diane :)

suzi on 11/06/98 at 18:38 (002068)

Debbie, I am sooooooooooo happy for your success! It's amazing that people still rush into surgery when they could be trying acupuncture to see if it works for them. I too had surgery, and it wasn't 100% successful. I have not been to the acupuncturist in about a week and I too am now walking about 1 mile a day. My feet still throb a little when I finish walking, but I do feel an improvement. This sounds nutty, but my acupuncturist always takes my pulse when I get there and he always know exactly what is going on in my body. Sometimes it freaks me out! He can tell if I have a headache coming on, and various other things. I will definitely continue with these treatments, because if I don't it's back to spending money on doctors, shots, and medication. It's cheaper to get acupuncture! Keep up the good work, and keep us posted!
suzsi

suzi on 11/06/98 at 22:58 (002074)

debbie, I don't think you should jump into doing aerobics so quickly
I would give your foot a long period of rest before jumping into something as high impact as aerobics, because you might find that you are right back to where you started
Please be careful and take is SLOWLY! You have made so much progress why risk taking a step backwards???

betsy on 11/07/98 at 02:01 (002078)

are the acutpuncture treatments expensive?? I am sure the price varies from area to area, but any generalities? So glad to hear that you are doing so well
!

alex on 11/07/98 at 03:37 (002079)

Thanks for the comments - especially Debbie and suzi. Suzi, I come form Atlanta, and will be there over the December holidays - so if the guy I see here in Hong Kong doesn't work out, maybe I'll go see your guy in Lagrange for some tips to take back to Hong Kong. I'll keep y'all informed. Right now (Sat) I'm in Shanghai for a conference (and my foot is really playing up) - visit the Chinese doctor in Hong Kong on Wednesday.
Once again thanks folks

suzi on 11/07/98 at 09:23 (002084)

Alex, my acupucturist works in Atlanta on Thursdays and Saturdays,he makes house calls and is very flexible with his hours, he works his butt off
I will be happy to give you his name and #!

suzi on 11/07/98 at 09:27 (002085)

Betsy, i pay $60 for one session. My sister saw an acupuncturist in New york who charged her about $150 per session
! It depends on where you live!

debbie on 11/08/98 at 12:30 (002090)

Dear Diane,
Lots of insurance co. are starting to recognize acupuncture and are paying. Keep checking with yours. Call them, explain that it would be cheaper than surgery and also more successful. the ins co. vary from state to state. My dr said in PA and WI acu is almost always covered. Good Luck. Debbie

debbie on 11/08/98 at 12:35 (002091)

Betsy,
Yes, it can be expensive. One guy I called charged $200.00 for the first session and $100.00 for each one after that! I got lucky. I only am charged $30.00 for each session because my dr. doesn't have his green card yet and does it out of his house. He came here from China to open a clinic here and next mo should have his card. So he can't charge alot because of that. He said normally he would charge $80.00 a treatment. He is so nice and caring. He feels sorry for anyone who isn't covered by the insurance and charges them less!

debbie on 11/08/98 at 12:40 (002092)

Suzi,
Thanks for your concern. Don't worry, as much as I miss the aerobics I won't go back until the dr. says I can. And then I have to do it gradually, maybe half a class at first, and only do low impact or walk through instead of doing high impact. But I know I will be able to go back some time soon, and it gives me something to look forward to. I can hardly wait. Debbie

debbie on 11/08/98 at 12:45 (002093)

Dear Suzi,
I am so happy for you that the acu is working for you. It is unbelievable that the chinese and alternative medicine is in my opinion so far advanced compared to traditional medicine. These Drs. seem to really have it together. I wish I would have done it 2 years ago. I asked one of my podiatrists about acu and of course he sloughed it off as if it were quackery. Like you said, your acu Dr. is so in tune with your body. It is quite amazing and I am so glad you are having success with this and can walk again. Debbie

Diane F. on 11/08/98 at 17:57 (002099)

Good advice but don't have insurance, am on my own and don't have any extra money for acupuncture. Will try it in the future if I ever get more money, thanks for caring :).

Diane

BEEJ on 11/09/98 at 10:43 (002105)

In the San Francisco Bay Area (and there are lots of acupuncturists here to choose from!), reputable acupuncturists usually charge between $40-$50 per treatment for those without insurance. They charge more for insured patients--about $70-$75 per hour.

Elise on 11/11/98 at 08:00 (002122)

I live in the suburbs of Phila, PA, and one of the largest insurance companies in the state, Blue Cross Personal Choice does not cover accupuncture. However, given all the money I have already spent on inserts and orthotics and supplements without improvement, I am going to try accupuncture even though it is not covered. I'll keep you posted.

As an aside, the only treatment that has helped enough to let me limp around the house is taping. My podiatrist tapes my feet tightly into a neutral positions. Before taping, he inserts padding under the plantar fasciia.