Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

frustrated that I have PF, have had it seven months...will I walk long walks again ever?

Posted by Lisa on 11/13/98 at 10:42 (002145)

I know I am 'preaching to the choir' on this one but I am so frustrated to be slowed down by PF. The first podiatrist I went to showed me a stretch to do which didn't help so I laid off walking/running for a month, which didn't help either. I have since then found a more effective stretch on my own and I must confess that it is a little better but I am getting tired of waiting. I used to love my 4-5 mile walks and now I am lucky if I walk 10-15 minutes a day. Am I destined to ride the recumbent bike for the rest of my life? I am only 22 years old and very frustrated. Need encourgagement. Thanks...

Re: frustrated that I have PF, have had it seven months...will I walk long walks again ever?

Dorothy L. Lairdieson on 11/13/98 at 14:44 (002153)

Lisa, I know exactly how you feel. I, too, am very frustrated.
I walked four 15-min miles every night, summer or winter.
Loved every minute of it. It helped maintain my weight.
Now with PF I can't walk at all. 'Will I ever walk again?'
I started with a podiatrist. Recently saw a orthopedic surgeon
and am pursuing a 'sports center' therapy program which my
health insurance (Personal Choice) will cover for eight appts.
I pay $10. each session. They use heat and ultra sound, then
stretches, then 3.0 incline on a treadmill for five mins.
But the pain is a pain. I can't stand being restricted.
I am gaining weight like crazy. I am not 22 years old. (61)

Re: frustrated that I have PF, have had it seven months...will I walk long walks again ever?

Linda on 11/13/98 at 21:05 (002162)

I know exactly how you feel. I have PF also. I started having a lot of pain & problems at the first of this year after I joined a gym for exercise to lose weight & get in shape & try to lower blood pressure. I started having problems after a couple months of low impact aerobics. I went to a podiatrist in March, 1998. I have taken 4 different anti-inflamatories, some made me sick & couldn't take, but (1) did help me considerably. It was called Lodeine. I do stretching exercises every morning as soon as my feet hit the floor. I have been doing this since March. All during the day at work I will stretch my foot while sitting at my desk. I am getting better now, sometimes I have pain like a knife stabbing into my foot, but very seldom. I need to lose weight also. I know that this would help me considerably in more ways than just my PF. I also wear an insert in my shoes called Benefoot. It really does help. The cortisone shot was considered, but my Podiatrist said they are very very painful so we tried different anti-inflammatories instead. I am just now where I can resume my walking in the evenings after work. I stretch really good before I walk & then stretch good after I have finished my walk. So far, all I feel is a little soreness, but not to the point that I have to hobble to get around like I used to. I understand what you are going through. Good Luck!
t

DaNita on 11/13/98 at 22:34 (002163)

I don't know how you could walk on a tread mill. I would be is so much pain after 5 minutes I would be ready to have my feet cut off.

Lisa on 11/16/98 at 00:00 (002210)

There was a time when the pain was severe but it hasn't been that way in a while. It seems to me that PF is something that doesn't ever completely go away but varies in intensity. For me, I am best when I stretch, roll my foot over a tennis ball and wear good shoes. What treatments are you trying?

Julie on 11/17/98 at 00:00 (002242)

1cust107.tnt1.waipahu.hi.gt.uu.net 13:02:03