Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Think carefully before Cortisone Shots

Posted by Bobbie on 11/15/98 at 00:00 (002181)

I have suffered with PF for about 3 years. I have had a total of 4 cortisone shots. At first they helped but the last 2 have not. I am very frustrated because the pain is excruciating. My doctor now wants me to try a night splint, if the insurance will pay, but I have my doubts that it will help. I have a job that requires me to be on my feet throughout the day and by the end of the day I can hardly walk. I can no longer take walks, go shopping, or anything else that requires walking or being on my feet. I fear that I will have to quit my job. I don't know the answer and I don't think my doctor does either. I hope I wont end up in a wheelchair or on crutches but what are the alternatives? HELP!

beej on 11/15/98 at 00:00 (002182)

My orthopedic doctor says he never recommends cortisone shots for pf because they can destroy the heelpads. I suggest you get two or three opinions before having cortisone shots in your heels. He also said he had pf for three years before he found that foot strengthening exercises were the only thing that cured him and prevented recurrence. I had been seeing a podiatrist who gave me prescribed hard orthotics (didn't do a thing for me), put me in a soft cast for 4 weeks (again no help), gave me stretching exercises (okay), ultrasound (felt better for a short time--about an hour). I then went to an acupuncturist (which didn't help me for this but has in the past for other soft tissue injuries) and finally am trying this guy. Will do foot strengthening exercises for 6 months to see what happens. In the meantime, icing helps and so do over the counter anti-inflammatories. I have not tried glucosomine sulfate yet but others swear by it. Just keep trying everything you can find--including shoes, inserts, etc. It is a real learning experience and no fun! Best, Barbara

Marianne on 11/15/98 at 00:00 (002191)

I share the same problem. I have been suffering with this for a year and can no longer enjoy walking, shoping, etc. I also have to be on my feet a lot during the day at work. After three cortisone shots and 12 physical therapy sessions I had srugery about 4 weeks ago and I am still at home recovering. The pain at times is worse that it was before - but the pain is no longer in my heel but in my whole foot and arch.

I am at wits end.

Lisa on 11/15/98 at 00:00 (002193)

I have had pf for over a year now. The pain has spread to the middle of the foot, and when I went back to my Doc to find out why, She just said 'that's just what it does'. I had three Cortisone shots with no relief. I would suggest that you be very careful with shots, since they may not work and why suffer through more pain? My Docs so far have been very insensative and one Doc even had the nerve to call me obesely overweight and said that I caused this affliction.I did not know that others had this problem until I saw this sight. I hope that everyone finds relief one day.

Annette on 11/16/98 at 00:00 (002220)

Lisa, that comment from your doctor about being over weight causing PF is pure BS! I got it real bad when I only weighed 110 pounds.