Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Advice from fellow runner.

Posted by John on 11/16/98 at 00:00 (002197)

Jerry, I know what you are going thru. I am a runner or 25 years and have had Pf for 7 months. I caused it by a jump of about 5 feet off the ground with a very flat soled boot. Trying to run the next week nearly killed me. Since then I have tried several times to run thru this pain. Every time I try to run any distance (even 1 mile), the pain returns after about 10 days. I discovered this site about 2 months ago. Since then, I have stopped running. I have read and tried nearly everything Scott has recommended on this web site. I am almost 100% pain free and plan to try running again in about 2 weeks.

I have a running friend who was more fortunate than myself. He was running 30 miles per week when his left heel starting hurting. He dropped down to 15. No help. Another friend gave him 2 recommendations. He got some Spenco shoe inserts which he wears all of the time. He tapes his foot when he runs. He now is back to running with no pain. Scott has directions on taping on the web site.

Read everything on this web site and find out what works for you. I think that you and myself should be very careful about the shoes we run in. I plan to use my custom orthotic in my running shoes as well as my everyday shoes.

Good luck. I hope you get back to running painfree.

Re: Advice from a Doc/ Foot in cast !

Carrie on 8/02/02 at 12:29 (091420)

Hi, and I have been in 2 cast's. They work great until they come off! I had one cast on for 4 weeks, when it came off I went on vacation for 2 weeks, so the first cast was a waste of time, in my eyes. I went back to foot dr. and he put me in another cast for 6 weeks, and it was great until it came off! Now we are doing the Acuscope, which doesn't seem to be helping, but also they haven't x-rayed me for a year, and I now wonder if I have a spur due to rock like sensation in heel. I am alos 40 and little over wight, but even when I was 25 pounds lighter my foot still bothered me!

Tonya O on 8/02/02 at 19:59 (091459)

Well, I too have been suffering for way too long with heel spurs. I've had the shots, took prednison, vioxx, bextra, orthotics and did the stretches. None of which helped for any length of time. A new orthopedic surgeon came to our town and he was able to see me today. He put a cast on me for 12 weeks!!! I practically begged for surgery but he told me that years down the road my arches could begin to fall and cause a lot of arthritis on the top of my foot. With going in and cutting the ligament, this makes sense. He says that the cast will allow the ligament to heal and this has about a 90% success rate. I'm so miserable right now, I can't imagine what it'll be like by the first of Nov. But if it works, it'll be well worth the inconvenience of this heavy cast. Any advise or if anyone else has had this done, please share with me your experience.

paula on 8/03/02 at 08:05 (091467)

is this a weight bearing cast or a walking cast or are you putting no weight on it at all?

Tonya O on 8/03/02 at 09:11 (091473)

I suppose it's a walking cast, he gave me a shoe to strap around it. It feels so thick on the bottom and it tends to throw me backwards when I walk. It's taking a toll on my hip and back.

Kathy G on 8/03/02 at 09:44 (091479)

Tonya,

I'm not a doctor but have taken care of more people in my family than I want to count, who were in casts for once reason or another. Have you let the doctor know that the cast is throwing you back and causing back and hip problems? Casts can often be modified in order to prevent this kind of thing. You don't want to end up with problems in your hips and back as a result of trying to correct your foot problems!

Good luck!

joannie M on 9/22/02 at 12:41 (095956)

my problem is reinjury!! I work on my feet on a hard surface all day. on my two days off, the pain becomes bearable but as soon asi get back to work, i'm hobbled!!! it goes on and on. pod is considering cast to give it a good rest and slowly re-introducing normal activity. orthotics have been limited in helpfulness - they don't prevnt the reinjury. comments? thanks

Tonya O on 9/23/02 at 16:48 (096031)

I was in a cast for 2 days, begged the doc to take it off so I could wear a removable one. It helped the spur and pf, but it also hurt my ankles. I couldn't wear it either. I've changed doctors( back to previous pod) and he's gave me another corisone shot, along with prednisone and celebrex. Says we're going to treat this till Nov and then consider the 'ossitone treatment'( could be spelled wrong). So far, the past week has been a big relief. I know the shot and the pills are only masking the pain, but hey....I'll do anything...except wear a cast!!! The doc thinks I'm being stubborn and just not wanting to wear the cast, it's not that at all....it hurts my ankle to wear evene the removable cast. My ankle felt like it was weakened and could break at any wrong step. Nobody wants me better any more than me and I know what hurts me and what doesn't. The podiatrist didn't agree with the cast like the orthopedic surgeon did. Oh well......

Carrie on 8/02/02 at 12:29 (091420)

Hi, and I have been in 2 cast's. They work great until they come off! I had one cast on for 4 weeks, when it came off I went on vacation for 2 weeks, so the first cast was a waste of time, in my eyes. I went back to foot dr. and he put me in another cast for 6 weeks, and it was great until it came off! Now we are doing the Acuscope, which doesn't seem to be helping, but also they haven't x-rayed me for a year, and I now wonder if I have a spur due to rock like sensation in heel. I am alos 40 and little over wight, but even when I was 25 pounds lighter my foot still bothered me!

Tonya O on 8/02/02 at 19:59 (091459)

Well, I too have been suffering for way too long with heel spurs. I've had the shots, took prednison, vioxx, bextra, orthotics and did the stretches. None of which helped for any length of time. A new orthopedic surgeon came to our town and he was able to see me today. He put a cast on me for 12 weeks!!! I practically begged for surgery but he told me that years down the road my arches could begin to fall and cause a lot of arthritis on the top of my foot. With going in and cutting the ligament, this makes sense. He says that the cast will allow the ligament to heal and this has about a 90% success rate. I'm so miserable right now, I can't imagine what it'll be like by the first of Nov. But if it works, it'll be well worth the inconvenience of this heavy cast. Any advise or if anyone else has had this done, please share with me your experience.

paula on 8/03/02 at 08:05 (091467)

is this a weight bearing cast or a walking cast or are you putting no weight on it at all?

Tonya O on 8/03/02 at 09:11 (091473)

I suppose it's a walking cast, he gave me a shoe to strap around it. It feels so thick on the bottom and it tends to throw me backwards when I walk. It's taking a toll on my hip and back.

Kathy G on 8/03/02 at 09:44 (091479)

Tonya,

I'm not a doctor but have taken care of more people in my family than I want to count, who were in casts for once reason or another. Have you let the doctor know that the cast is throwing you back and causing back and hip problems? Casts can often be modified in order to prevent this kind of thing. You don't want to end up with problems in your hips and back as a result of trying to correct your foot problems!

Good luck!

joannie M on 9/22/02 at 12:41 (095956)

my problem is reinjury!! I work on my feet on a hard surface all day. on my two days off, the pain becomes bearable but as soon asi get back to work, i'm hobbled!!! it goes on and on. pod is considering cast to give it a good rest and slowly re-introducing normal activity. orthotics have been limited in helpfulness - they don't prevnt the reinjury. comments? thanks

Tonya O on 9/23/02 at 16:48 (096031)

I was in a cast for 2 days, begged the doc to take it off so I could wear a removable one. It helped the spur and pf, but it also hurt my ankles. I couldn't wear it either. I've changed doctors( back to previous pod) and he's gave me another corisone shot, along with prednisone and celebrex. Says we're going to treat this till Nov and then consider the 'ossitone treatment'( could be spelled wrong). So far, the past week has been a big relief. I know the shot and the pills are only masking the pain, but hey....I'll do anything...except wear a cast!!! The doc thinks I'm being stubborn and just not wanting to wear the cast, it's not that at all....it hurts my ankle to wear evene the removable cast. My ankle felt like it was weakened and could break at any wrong step. Nobody wants me better any more than me and I know what hurts me and what doesn't. The podiatrist didn't agree with the cast like the orthopedic surgeon did. Oh well......