Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

glucosamine, is it for me?

Posted by morris on 11/19/98 at 00:00 (002281)

hass anyone tried glucosamine? i hear very conflicting stories. i have tried ice, shots, stretching, arch supports, etc... i am at my wits end. i think my doc
is quack! i've learned more off this website than i have from him.
***********please someone, i need some feedbck
!

Re: glucosamine, is it for me?

BEEJ on 11/19/98 at 00:00 (002287)

I have heard great things about glucosomine sulfate on this site. So if you try it and I am going to start, be sure to take the glucosomine sulfate and not the other types of glucosomine. Does anyone know if there are side affects to this? I have only heard good things about it--even instant relief for some. Good luck. Barbara

Bobbie on 11/19/98 at 00:00 (002296)

I tried it for awhile but had problems with leg cramps so discontinued use. I am not sure it was from the glucosamine or from doing the leg stretching exercises the doctor prescribed. I might try it again but I am a bit dubious that it works. I would like to know if anyone obtained relief from glucosamine too.

slr on 11/20/98 at 00:00 (002307)

i had pf for 4years and no relief using the basic remedies. then i used glucosamine sulfate 1500mg. daily for a few weeks until i started feeling relief, then cut down to 750mg. daily until the pain was gone.
now i strat taking it when i start feeling the pain, usually if i am
on my feet more than usual or exercising more than usual. i have been virtually pain-free for 9 months. but, i continue to do stretching every morning/night.
good luck with it

Rita on 11/21/98 at 00:00 (002326)

I swear that it was the glucosamine sulfate with chondroitin that cured me. Yes cured! It has been almost a year and next to no heel pain.

debbie on 11/24/98 at 00:00 (002357)

HI. What brand did you use and do you think it would matter? How much did you take? Do you excercise? Debbie

Rita on 11/25/98 at 00:00 (002380)

I am presently using Shiff's Pain Free Chondroitin 400mg Glucosamine 500mg. I bought it at Costco, about $25 a bottle of 150. I have also used The Vitamin Shoppe's Glucosamine & Chondroitin Sulfates, also about $25-$30 for 120. I didn't take it for a few days and just today noticed a slight pain returning. So, I restarted it again.

debbie on 11/25/98 at 00:00 (002386)

Thanks for the info. Debbie