Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Nightsplints - are they worth it?

Posted by Bobbie on 11/19/98 at 00:00 (002295)

My docotor prescribed nightsplints but I found out today that the insurance company will not help pay for them and they cost $130. If they truly worked I would pay for it but I don't want to buy more things that don't cure the problem.

Re: Nightsplints - are they worth it?

Sharon on 11/19/98 at 00:00 (002300)

I had just one nightsplint. It seemed to help when I wore it on a regular basis. I just got frustrated with it because it wasn't always comfortable. I had to be really tired when I went to bed to ignore the fact that I had this big thing on my leg. Other people have talked about a sock but I don't know what that is. Good luck in your decision.

jean on 11/20/98 at 00:00 (002302)

I have been using the Dorsi-wedge night splint since about May. I think that my foot is getting better. Whether it is because of this specifically or because I have been resting...who knows. I will say this, my foot no longer hurts worse in the morning. Just sorta there all day.

It was uncomfortable for about the first two weeks, but after that I got used to it and it doesn't really bother me. If you do a web search on Dorsiwedge Night Splint, you can order it over the internet for I think about $70 and maybe cheaper. Also there is a Strassburg sock night splint, I have heard that this is less bulky, but sorta tight, so there's your trade off.

good luck
jean

Kristin on 11/20/98 at 00:00 (002312)

I have a nightsplint that I wear and I have absolutely no pain when I hop out of bed in the morning. I also think it helps during the day because I've started off pain free. I've never seen the sock thing but if keeps your foot stretched at nighttime and it's cheaper I certainly would go for it. Whether it helps to cure this Q@#% thing I don't know. Good luck