Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cortizone Injections: Good or bad?

Posted by Amy on 11/24/98 at 00:00 (002355)

I found out yesterday that I have a heel spur in each foot. At that time, the doctor told me that my only option would be to have a cortizone injection, which would last for up to a year. I had one in one heel. (and I am in quite a bit of pain today...) My doctor told me to come back in a couple of weeks to have a shot in the other heel. I am looking for any information on side effects, other alternatives, etc.
Thanks!

Re: Cortizone Injections: Good or bad?

debbie on 11/24/98 at 00:00 (002356)

I had cortizone shots in each foot. They don't last, they take away the pain only temporarily. They can also be dangerous, causing scar tissue and other problems. I am having acupuncture and it has worked wonders. Debbie

Marianne on 11/24/98 at 00:00 (002359)

I had three cortizone injections in my left foot. They all hurt really bad. The first one resulted in a two month pain free period. Then in July my foot started to hurt again so my doctor have me two more shots - in a two week period. They did nothing to relieve my pain. So I then tried 12 sessions of physical threaphy which also did not work. I just had surgery and there seems to be improvement but this is my first week back to work after being out for five weeks. Time will tell. The shots don't really work in my opinion.

Beej on 11/24/98 at 00:00 (002360)

Amy, My (new to me) orthopedic surgeon says he never gives cortisone injections in the heel because it can destroy the heel pad and cause worse problems than it is trying to correct--he said he had plantar faciitis for three years before he found the cure in strengthening the foot through exercise. I did have a cortisone shot in my left heel given by the podiatrist I saw before changing to an orthopedist. It did nothing for me. I am trying to strengthen my feet through exercise now but so far no improvement (he did say it could take up to six months given how weak my feet are). Hope this helps. Best, Barbara

Sally T. on 11/24/98 at 00:00 (002361)

I had two cortizone shots in my left foot. I have a very high threshold for pain, but I almost passed out they hurt so bad. I would never have another. I went through all the stages of trying to heal my foot and finally had surgery. I'm still having discomfort after almost 6 months but know it may take upwards of a year to heal completly. I now have pain in my right foot from favoring my left. I'm trying glucosamine. I just started taking it yesterday. I hope it works. Good luck to you Amy.

roy on 11/24/98 at 00:00 (002362)

how about some information on glucosamie its it helps and if there
is any sideaffects.Cortizone didnt help me at all and after readind up on them I believe that they might even cause more pain and futher damage.

Bobbie on 11/24/98 at 00:00 (002364)

I have had four cortizone shots in my right foot. The first two helped for awhile but the last two did nothing. I will not have any more cortizone shots. They are only a bandaid and not a solution. I wish you the best of luck!

Amy on 11/25/98 at 00:00 (002370)

Thank you for your reply! (all of you) This is so new to me, and it's comforting to know that there are a lot of others out there going through the same thing. I had the cortisone shot day before yesterday, and the pain from the shot is going away, and the old familier pain from the spur is also gone. I think, after reading and talking to a lot of people, it seems like some things works from some, and others work for others. It's just what your body reacts to. However, I have heard nothing but bad things about surgery...
My doctor didn't even give me this option. (I am, beleive it or not, 20 years old.) She told me that the reason why I have the spurs are from being so flat-footed. And because even though my mother tried to make me wear arch supports, and being a kid, I never listened. I am going to try the Birkinstocks, and see what this shot does for me. I appreciate all of the support! Best of luck to all of you!
Amy

missy on 11/29/98 at 00:00 (002422)

any chance the rash and brusing over my abdomen and thighs are due to the 3 shots I have had (thus far) this fall...what are the side effects of these shots?? I am living overseas and go to military docs...yuck...any rec for a good pod that does l;asars in atlanta??? anyone have lasars that worked?? missy in okinawa