Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

chinese medicine/acupuncture

Posted by alex on 11/24/98 at 00:00 (002366)

Have just had first treatment by Chinese Doctor following major diagnostic visit ten days ago. He 'cupped' the major pressure point at the lower end of my shin, and drained 'stagnant blood'. Also used acupuncture. So far pain is much better (but not gone), but he says it will take several more treatments. According to him, there will only be temporary relief of the PF pain with acupuncture until he has solved some of the circulatory problems in my left leg. Although these did not cause the PF, they created the situation which was ripe for PF or other injuries. Will keep you posted.

Re: chinese medicine/acupuncture

Beej on 11/25/98 at 00:00 (002374)

Please do keep us informed--I find this really interesting. What does 'cupped' mean. I also have circulatory problems in my right lower leg (outside veins). I am really interested in your treatment. Thanks, Barbara

alex on 11/25/98 at 00:00 (002379)

'cupping' is rather like a suction cup with about six needles inside. It is applied at the appropriate point and then the doctor applies pressure with a gadget which causes blood to trickle out into an attached small cup. It's a bit gross - the blood is very dark - almost black. Apparently very much a part of Chinese medicine. The Dr also gave me major vitamins and ameno acids etc to help clean my veins. Promises major improvement in my varicose veins and other circulatory problems within a month. Well, we'll see....... Incidentally, he was right about the PF pain relief being temporary - it's back again now, about 24 hrs later. I go back twice a week for the next three weeks.
Good luck
Alex

debbie on 11/25/98 at 00:00 (002385)

My acupuncturist says the pain will not come back. I had my last treatment today. I went to jazzercise tonite for the third time and my feet are still ok. I walk a mile or a mile and a half every other day, the days when I don't go to aerobics. My dr. used a suction cup on me too, but it is like a heavy duty magnet. It has one needle in it, it doesn't draw blood, Never heard of such a thing. When I first started treatments, I was chronic. I went every other day. By the time it was time to go back I was ready and having pain again. Then after the treatment I felt great. Gradually the pain started to go away and I felt good BEFORE the treatment. So far this has been great for me. He says it is a cure. I hope he is right. Good Luck. Debbie

Sharon H on 11/27/98 at 00:00 (002404)

I have gone to a kinesiologist chiropractor off and on for a couple of other things and call him my voodoo doctor. I figure if it works, who cares how goofy it sounds. Please keep us posted.

kelus on 11/28/98 at 00:00 (002414)

How many times a week do you have to get acupuncture???

debbie on 11/29/98 at 00:00 (002425)

I went every other day. MOn. wed and fri. for seven treatments. Then rest the pressure points for a week. then back again for seven more treatments everyother day, then rest the points for 3 weeks befor e going back again for 7 more treatments. I am finished now and am back to Jazzercise
Good Luck Debbie