Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What is an air cast?

Posted by Gina on 11/29/98 at 00:00 (002434)

If you could give me additonal info on the air cast--what it is, how it works, what it's supposed to accomplish, I would appreciate it. Did traditional casting once with no results. Dr. wants to try again; I'm hesitant. Thanks in advance.

Re: What is an air cast?

Bil on 11/29/98 at 00:00 (002435)

A Aircast is a brand of cast that is removable. There are two types for the foot, a splint and a foot cast. If you plan to use one the foot cast is recommended. It has 4 air blatters that you inflate with a small hand pump. I have been in one for three days. I was unable to walk without taping, inserts and a cane. I had the shots and the pain always returned. I wear it day and night. It is the first time in a year I haven't had pain. The doctor told me I will have to wear it for 3 to 6 weeks and do the streching, icing and drugs.

My primary doctor sent me to a foot doctor. The foot doctor couldn't get the HMO to pay for the cast. His office manager told me that he could send me to a third company called Novacare. The HMO picked up the charge. It was about $190.