Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Using athletic tape

Posted by Susie on 11/30/98 at 00:00 (002448)

I had a heel spur in my right foot and cured it after using an over-the-counter orthotic for 1 1/2 years. Bur then I got a flat foot condition in my left foot, which is definitely helped by the orthotic, but not if I'm on my feet a lot. I recently went to Great Britain for 3 weeks and walked almost all day every day. How did I do it? After killing my foot climbing Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh, I tried taping my foot up. What a miracle! Thank you heelspurs.com! I never would have thought of it on my own, and it saved my vacation. I was able to keep up with my teenagers immediately after taping. That information was a Godsend! Without it I would have been stuck in the hotel the next day, recovering. I know, because when I took the tape off that first day, I could hardly walk. I have another thought: I've been wearing only athletic shoes since 1975, and I wear them from morn til night. Does anyone think this condition may be caused by underuse of the foot muscles? I never go barefoot and I now I wonder if maybe I should. Perhaps the muscles of the foot need stregthening, since they've never been strecthed or worked for over 20 years? Also, I have knock-knees, so that could be it too. I had Hellerwork bodywork done, and the practioner fixed my kness in one painful instant, but they need to redone after a time or they go back to knock-knees again. Any comments?

Re: Using athletic tape

Beej on 12/01/98 at 00:00 (002462)

Dear Susie: I've suffered for almost 2 years and tried almost everything it seems. I just went to a new orthopedic doctor who specializes in feet and he says it is definitely weak foot muscles that cause pf. He gave me a series of exercises and said my feet were so weak it may take six months to cure but once cured it won't come back as long as the foot muscles (in particular the muscles which support the arch) are exercised and remain strong. I have been doing the exercises since November 10th (not as reliably as I should!) and am actually (just this week) beginning to see some improvement. I really must do better at keeping at it... Best, Barbara

Re: Using athletic tape

Sharon H on 12/01/98 at 00:00 (002464)

What kind of exercises did he prescribe? My doctor said to stand with your hands against the wall and your feet away from your wall and stretch your calves. This hasn't seemed to help at all. I do better rolling my foot on an ice bottle. It seems to stretch it a bit and the ice feels great.