Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Another Opinion about shots and other things

Posted by Bill on 12/05/98 at 00:00 (002517)

I went with my young daughter yesterday to her doctor's appointment. I am wearing an Aircast and her doctor asked me what I had done. When I explained about my PF and that one of the bands had ruptured he got a little overly excited. He said that he has stopped giving shots for PF. He has experienced that 1 in every 100 people's Achilles heel will rupture and he feels that was to high of a risk.

I explained to him that I had suffered on and off for years with PF. The pain always went away if I rested my feet. About a year ago the pain stopped going away. I was a attending a company conference at the Opryland Hotel (100 acres under glass) and had to walk everywhere. I suffered the entire week. I continued to put up with the pain until June. I had the classic morning symptoms and the pain after sitting. I went to my GP and he injected it and sent me to a podiatrist. The podiatrist put me in inserts ( a german made insert that cost $65 there great, thin and fits in almost any shoe), had me buy birks. The pain stayed away for about 3 months. He also told me that I need to lose weight. I am a big boned guy and weight about 100 pounds over the ideal ( as my wife says I only look about 40 pounds over weight). I lost 53 pounds by the end of September and walked 30 minutes a day. One day while walking I felt a pop in my heel. Down I went and with terrible pain in my heel. I couldn't walk with out a cane. I called my doctor and he referred me back to the podiatrist who wanted to inject me again. I told him that the pain of the shots was so bad that I wouldn't do the shots again. My wife suggested to him that he put me in a cast. He hesitated at first because my HMO won't cover the cost. His office manger was walking by and said they could send me to a place called Novacare and the HMO would cover it. They specialize in casting body parts.

To make a long story even longer, I have been in a Aircast for a week and half, taking Daypro, Vitamin C, stretching and icing. The pain has gone from 150% to about 10%. My daughters doctor said that he has experienced that the ruptures occur several months after the shots.

What I have learned from all this: 1) every few doctors have a clue about PF 2) different things work for different folks 3) they have no clue if weight has anything to do with it 4)becareful of the shots