Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cortisone and aftercare

Posted by Kristin on 12/07/98 at 00:00 (002558)

Just had my first cortisone shot after trying stretching, nightsplints, and non running for last 5 months. The shot in all honesty wasn't as bad as I have heard people describe it (even my doctor warned me 'it hurts like hell'.) I've read many failure stories of the cortisone shots, I'm wondering what people did after the shot. Did you stretch religously, stay off the foot and do exercises or did you get optimistic too soon (I can relate, if I have no pain, going out for a run too soon will be hard to resist)and do too much too soon. Interested in hearing from you. Thanks!

Re: Cortisone and aftercare

Bea on 12/07/98 at 00:00 (002568)

Please remember the cortisone is not a cure & has many bad side effects. I won't take them anymore but I did yeqrs ago & have heard many horror stories. My mother took it years ago & had severe liver & kidney problems because of it. I would pay less attention to excercising & more to finding a way to live with this without cortisone.

Robin on 12/08/98 at 00:00 (002572)

Don't know about feet, but I had a cortisone injection in my wrist years ago. This was after being splinted for 8 months and after many meds. The Dr. told me to rest the wrist until the cortisone really kicked in (about 2 days) and then to go about normal activities but pay attention not to strain it and to be very gentle with it. I even continued with a soft splint at night. The injection lasted about 5-6 months and I ended up having surgery on the wrist anyway (which was 100% effective), but the point was not to re-damage anything that might be trying to repair itself.

Personally, I'd do 2 things. 1) Call your Dr. and ask specifically what to do, what not to do. 2) Not run, exercise or stretch vigorously until you gather enough aftercare information to evaluate. You should get some from this site, also check Scott's PF document. Probably you shouldn't leap up and right away repeat any activities that contributed to the damage in the first place. Good luck--hope the shot really takes hold you.

John on 12/08/98 at 00:00 (002573)

Kristin, I understand your desire to get back to running. I am a runner of 25 years and have had PF for 8 months. During that time I have had shots(2) and tried nearly everything else. I didn't discover this web site until 4 months ago. I have tried several times (unsuccessfully) to run again. I am at the point of trying to run again. My pain is 99% gone. What worries me, will it come back immediately? How do I know when I am safe to run again? One thing I do know, for me, there will not be any pain killers of any kind in my system to hide or mask the pain. If I run and it causes a reinjury of my PF, I want to know it ASAP so that I do not cause any more harm than I need to. I have spent a lot of time and effort to get to this point and it scares me to think of starting over again. Good luck.

laurie on 12/08/98 at 00:00 (002575)

Good Luck! The cortisone shots were a breeze for me as well.... In fact the Doc said she has never seen someone not flinch while getting a shot. I said, the shots are nothing compared to the foot itself. I have had 2 shots and that will be the last of them. Perhaps one more in the waaaay future. I found that by continuing the total foot rest and icing for weeks afterwards really was the key. Keep in mind, after the shot the ole footer feels much better but keep off it to let that cortisone take full effect. Best of luck.

Heal Up!
laurie