Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

terrible pain

Posted by Lori on 12/09/98 at 00:00 (002607)

Well i went to the orthopedic surgeon today..Desperate for some type of relief. I had read a post about an air cast so I suggested it to him...well he said that wasn't an option. He said he doesn't do the shots until I am completely desperate..i agree...He said he won't do surgery..He wants me to do more vigorous streching..(ouch) And 6 days of a steroid pack..Has any one had any results w/ that? After i mentioned that I had been looking on the internet...he began to get VERY grumpy...i am frusterated

!I tried to access the cat room butI couldn't get in...You guys are all great in a time where everyone else is completely unsympothetic!Thanks everybody
:-)

Re: terrible pain

Bill on 12/09/98 at 00:00 (002612)

I would find a new doctor. I have seen three. The first two were wanting to do shoots. I took one and would prefer amputation (semi-kidding) to another shot. I told my current doctor what I was reading on the net and he agreed we should try some of it. I was put in the Aircast and my pain dropped from 100% to 5% in a week. I am still in the cast and will wear it as long as needed.

The last doctor I saw said he no longer gives shots because of the # of archile's heel ruptures he has seen. It is amazing to me how many doctors are afraid of their patients talking.

Re: terrible pain

Owen on 12/10/98 at 00:00 (002614)

Steroid pack worked very well for me. Don't stop doing other things while you take the steroids and after, especially stretching, iceing and never go barefooted, even on your way to, and in, the shower--and get some really good shoes (custom orthodics seem to work well for me).

Re: terrible pain and the saga continues :-(

lori on 12/12/98 at 00:00 (002642)

Well my saga continues...I began the steroid pack on Wed. I took all 6 pills . I woke up in the middle of the night w/ a really bad headache..I went back to sleep,got up at 7 am a little worse by9:30 am I called my husband to come home..by 11 I was in the emergency room..I had the worst headache i have ever had. I have had migraines before this was worse. I wanted and thought i was going to die.After a catscan and lots of blood work they found out I had some swelling in my brain from the steroid. It doesn't happen in many...how lucky was i??? Well it is now 2 days later and i still have a dull throb in my head...I can't even think about my feet.The orthopedic dr, wants me to try another drug...I don't want to ...I am going to switch dr.'s..I am really discouraged now! Any suggestions?thanks
!

Re: terrible pain and the saga continues :-(

Sally T. on 12/13/98 at 00:00 (002660)

Lori, please change doctors! Any doctor who doesn't listen to his or her patients is worth nothing. Find one who will work with you and not against you. I have fired doctors because of this. There are some who think we as patients know nothing. To heck with them. There are many more out there who are willing to listen and try whatever work for their patients. Good luck and hope you're feeling better soon.