Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar fasciitis due to blunt trauma and severe sprain

Posted by Kathleen H. on 12/09/98 at 00:00 (002611)

I am a 30 year old female. I weigh 145 pounds and am physically fit. I work out with weights and swim. In September of 1998, I was in an indoor playground with my kids where you are required to be in stocking feet to play. The floor was covered with 2 and a half inch foam mats. I was running on this surface when my left foot came down on a steel beam in which the foam padding had worn away. My foot immediately collapsed, turning inward. I went to urgent care where they gave me crutches and wrapped my foot in an ace. They said it was sprained. They gave me demerohal and a perscription for Motrin-1800 milligrams per day. (a little to much) 2 days later I still could not touch the floor with even my toe because the pain was so bad. So they put an air cast on it. It took 4 months to figure out I had Plantar Fasciitis. My bone scan shows growths around the ankle as well as at the heel. I refused injections. I fear they will cause some other problem. The motrin caused a stomach bleed after only 2 weeks. I had 2 rounds of physical therapy (all my HMO allows). I have pads in my shoes. This problem has greatly affected my life. It still hurts night and day. What can I do now?

Re: plantar fasciitis due to blunt trauma and severe sprain

Bea on 12/09/98 at 00:00 (002613)

I can just give you some superficial info. Ice the foot whenever possible and rest it. Accupuncture has helped some people. A good idea would be to read thru the info on this web site and see what helps. Unfortunately there is no definitive solution for all, just try & do the best you can. There is a lot of good info on this site.