Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Any suggestions for pain in arch?

Posted by Elise on 12/15/98 at 00:00 (002688)

In my left foot, I am now feeling more pain in my arch than in my heel. I have had my left orthotic adjusted twice, but it hasn't helped. Has had anyone this type of pain, and if so, any suggestions? I can't believe I have had this for 3.5 months and am still so debilitated.

Re: Any suggestions for pain in arch?

suzy on 12/15/98 at 00:00 (002689)

This is how mine started! I had alot of cramping as well int he arch. I have just had my 2nd surgery and hopeing it helps. Do you have pain when you get up? or after resting for a while? It has been a year and a half for me know and hope soon will be all better! Good luck!
SUzy

Allo on 12/16/98 at 00:00 (002719)

Does your orthotic extend all the way under your arch? If not, you could be getting good heel cushioning, but insufficient arch support. Experts have told me that arch support is as critical as heel support. Also, look at whether or not your shoes give you good arch support. Lack of this support typically results in pain in the arch area. You may already have considered these things. If not, at least this is a place to start.

Hope you see improvement real soon.

Elise on 12/17/98 at 00:00 (002724)

Mine started with pain in the heel, but now it is more of an ache/cramp in the arch, and my toes are also cramped up. I am wearing a soft cushioned orthotic that goes from heel to toe and lets me hobble around the house. I know I am not walking correctly, but I don't know how to fix it. I'm back to the rehab doctor today to see what his next suggestion is.

Janine on 12/21/98 at 00:00 (002768)

Elise,

This may sound strange, but maybe it's actually your right orthotic that needs adjusting. Did you send them together or just the left to be adjusted? Sometimes, the opposite foot overcompensates for the one that is troubled, and then you end up with pain in the wrong foot. I used to wear an air cast on my left foot for ankle pain, and by the end of the day, my left foot was great, but my right was killing me from 'babying' the left.

Consider having the orthotics analyzed together, preferably against your original casts, if they are still available.

Good luck!
Janine