Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

DMSO Treatments........(Dimethyl Sulfoxide)

Posted by kelus on 12/23/98 at 00:00 (002815)

Ok, now I am grasping for straws......

I have a disease called Interstitual Cystitis which is chronic infection in the lining of the bladder.
When it gets unbearable, my Urologist gives me these Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO) treatments, and they help....alot.
It is inserted into the bladder and held for 30 minutes, and it coats the walls of the bladder and is absorbed. It is an anti-inflamitory medicine.

I read lately that it is used to treat other problems.
(see this site: http://dmso.org )
(I think that this is the right address, let me know if it isn't!)
I was wondering what you all think? Is it worth checking in to ?

Kelus

Re: DMSO Treatments........(Dimethyl Sulfoxide)

Dayna on 12/24/98 at 00:00 (002825)

Oh you poor thing! I've had bladder infections before and the pain is actually worse than that caused by what we on this board have. At least we can avoid walking, but how do you avoid 'releasing excess fluids'? I can't imagine not getting an antibiotic and feeling relief start in 4 - 6 hours. A lot of us have tried or are now taking anti-inflammatories, so this isn't the worst idea I ever heard.
Thanks for giving us another option, and my good thoughts go with you that you also will find a cure.

Annette on 12/24/98 at 00:00 (002832)

DMSO was not always tolerated by people. It has been made into a food additive that can be gotten at most health food stores under the name MSM or Methyl Sulphonyl Methane. There are numerous posts about it all over the internet. I had pretty good pain relief from PF and arthritis with glucosamine and chondroitin but was still hoping to get a little better. This month's issue of Saturday Evening Post had an article in it on glucosamine and arthritis and of course I looked at it with interest. One doctor stated that he had good results for relief of pain and inflammation of arthritis using a combination of glucosamine and MSM. MSM is supposed to have no side effects. I know glucosamine had none for me. I am just starting to take MSM the last few days. A two months supply was 18.00 so not too bad. It is also supposed to work better with vitamin C. I got it at our little small town health food store. It is supposed to take 3 weeks to start to work. I have only been on it 3 days so am not expecting miracles yet. I know the glucosamine took a # of months to really help. With PF I have learned to be patient with pain relief. I am hoping this may be the last link I need to really come around. I used to think all that health food stuff was just mumbo jumbo but glucosamine really helped me. I would suggest for anyone interested to look MSM up on the internet and decide for yourself. It may be one more weapon in our arsenal to try. I will post later if I feel it helps me. I would love to try accupunture but I live in a very rural area and the nearest one is aobut 100 miles.

Janet on 12/25/98 at 00:00 (002834)

Hi Kelus,

I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis about two years ago. As it turned out, I was actually misdiagnosed. What I had were three kidney stones imbedded in my right ureter. It was 5 agonizing weeks before I had surgery to remove them. During that time I had all the symptoms of cystitis--it was the worst thing I've ever had to endure.
One thing that helped me out was drinking herb teas with demulcent (mucilaginous/soothing) properties. These included cornsilk, marshmellow root, couchgrass, and slippery elm. These are all good for treating an inflamed urinary tract. Mix equal parts of them and brew into a tea--use about 2 T of the mixture per teacup. Another remedy that seemed to help me was a barley water concoction. Mix 2 cups barley and about1 quart(?) water. Simmer until the liquid is reduced by half. Squeeze a little lemon zest in too. Drink the watery part and throw away the barley. I used to keep a lot of this stuff around and sip on it all day long. Also, as you know, drink lots of water with IC, and stay away from any irritating foods--some women with this condition have found relief by switching to a complete vegetarian diet. My doctor told me that while vitamin C is good for killing bacteria, it also can irritate a sensitive bladder. 'Like putting salt on a wound' were his words. I'd stay away from vitamin C in the ascorbic acid form as that can be the most irritating. Talk to someone at your local health food store about a non-irritating form of C --if one exists. Last thing--I found lots of information about IC on the web.

Good luck and don't give up hope.