Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: A new read responds with questions...

Posted by Sandy in Ohio on 12/27/98 at 00:00 (002873)

I just discovered this section today. I too have problems when I first wake up in the morning with walking and then if I sit too long, when I get up my foot hurts. The problem is in my right heel. I have
had two cortisone shots from my podiatrist. He told me not to wear flat shoes and to wear at least one inch heels. When I wear heels, my heel does not hurt as much.

What I don't understand is what causes heel spurs? I have only had this problem since June and just started going to the podiatrist in November. I kept hoping the pain would go away...

Barbara on 12/28/98 at 00:00 (002891)

Hi Sandy--I have been in your position. Scott (the gentleman who started and maintains this website) has also done much work writing about this condition and what causes it. Look elsewhere on this site and you will find a lot of valuable information about how heel spurs develop and why. Good luck to you! Best, Barbara

Sandy in Ohio on 12/31/98 at 00:00 (002965)

Thank you Barb. I am new at this site and will do look around this site. Happy New Year!

ETA on 1/03/99 at 00:00 (003008)

This is my first time at this site after suffering for well over a year with both feet involved. I keep hearing about this person Scott? I checked what I saw on a former page, it didn't seem like much. Is there a site I missed? Can you send me the link?

thanks
eta

elaine on 1/03/99 at 00:00 (003011)

From what I understand, mine where caused by excercise and physical abuse (i was an avid jazzerciser) The tight tendon under the foot actually begins to pull the tendon away from the heel bone. The body compensates by filling in that 'gap' with calcium (bone material)
That calcium deposit is known as a bone spur.
Helped?

ETA