Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cortisone shots: how long does relief last?

Posted by Kristen on 12/28/98 at 00:00 (002892)

I've read a # of times that cortisone shots to the fascia work temporarily, then the pain returns. I'd like to hear from people who have had that experience, and I'd like to know how long it was before the pain came back.
I'm also assuming that there are people who had the shots work permanently, but they don't get on the message board anymore since their problem is gone! Thanks!

Re: Cortisone shots: how long does relief last?

Sally T. on 12/28/98 at 00:00 (002894)

Kristen, the first cortisone shot I got lasted one month. During that month I felt like I was cured. No more pain! I was devistated when the pain returned worse than ever. My primary care doctor blamed it on me saying I must have done too much (I did not!) I was referred to an ortho doctor, who informed me my primary gave the shot incorrectly. He gave it directly in the bottom of my heel. This can destroy the fatty heel pad. My ortho doctor said he would give me one more shot and if that didn't work I would need surgery. Well, the shot didn't work at all. I had surgery 6/98 and can't honestly say that did much good either. My feet feel better from using some of the advice I've gathered from this site. I would never have another cortisone shot. I now stretch and ice. I purchased some New Balance sneekers(they feel great) and I got some Birks Arizonas which I'm still getting used to. I hope you find the answers you need to reduce or cure your pain.

Dayna on 12/28/98 at 00:00 (002895)

Cortisone shot! {person frantically making the sign of the cross as to ward off evil}

NEVER! I had one shot, it felt like the needle went straight through the bone, it took two people to hold me down and you could hear me scream all the way out to the lobby. I'm not a wimpy person, it HURT WORSE THAN THE PF. Later that evening it began to burn, I couldn't even twitch my toe without pain so bad I nearly passed out, the entire tendon was on fire. I ended up borrowing someone elses crutches for two days until the pain subsided, but then the pain was totally gone, no more PF. I kept being a good girl and wearing supportive shoes and taping and inserts and just over a week later I stepped and 'twinge', I could feel the damn thing rip again, I was right back where I started.

I'll never have another shot, for some people they work and are not be so painful to have but my experience is to say no to needles and surgery.

Orie on 12/28/98 at 00:00 (002896)

Kristen: Read my post of 12/28/98

Bobbie on 12/28/98 at 00:00 (002906)

I have had 4 cortisone shots over the last 3 years. The first one worked great for a few months, the 2nd one worked for a couple of months, the 4th & 5th did nothing. I will not have anymore shots since they can do a lot of damage and no longer help. Just remember that cortisone shots do not heal they only offer a temporary relief (if they work at all). Good luck!

janet on 1/02/99 at 00:00 (002985)

Hi Sally,
What kind of operation did you get? Did it give you any relief? How long ago did you have it? One or both Feet? Who did it?

Thanks

Sally T. on 1/02/99 at 00:00 (002990)

Janet, I had what I think is called the open operation. An incision of about 1.5 inches was made and the doctor cut half of the plantar faciia from the heel bone and he also removed the covering on the tarsal nerve. It was done on my left foot only. I don't have pain in that heel any longer, but I now have arch pain and chronic pain at the incision site. I don't consider my foot to be better, its just a different pain now. My right foot is affected now and I won't have surgery for it. I had my surgery 6/11/98. My doctor was Dr. James Timoney in Lewiston, Maine.