Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Acupuncture Update

Posted by Gina on 12/29/98 at 00:00 (002922)

Have had 5 acu treatments, starting Dec. 8, with another scheduled for 12/31. Had 40% pain reduction after the first, but had a new pain surface after the second. At the 3rd treatment, acupuncturist completely elminated the new pain, but had no change in heel pain. Fourth treatment produced almost no change in heel pain. After the 5th treatment, I was up to 75% pain reduction, so, of course, I overdid it (on my feet 2-3 hours at a time) and am having a 'relapse' now. Hope he can take care of increased pain at next session. Acu. is not for wimps: some needles inserted in my heel felt pretty much like those good old cortisone shots! Here's hoping I continue to make progress, but who knows?

Re: Acupuncture Update

Barbara on 12/29/98 at 00:00 (002924)

Dear Gina: Sounds like your guy uses the Chinese method of acupuncture which can cause a bit of pain. The Japanese method of acupuncture is pretty much painless and produces the same results. There is a difference in the method of insertion of the needles--with the Japanese method the acupuncturist uses a small tube to somehow insert the needles without pain. Some people prefer the Chinese method because they believe in the 'no pain--no gain' maxim. I have experienced both and actually would do either one. This is just an FYI for those who cannot tolerate needles. I had a dozen or so treatments myself for pf and it unfortunately did not work for me, but have had experience with acupuncture for other things and find it quite helpful. I am so happy to hear it is working for you. Best, Barbara

Re: Acupuncture Update

debbie on 12/29/98 at 00:00 (002928)

HI Gina
YOu are right, acu is not for wimps. The needles hurt me too, but sometime they didn't. But it was worth it because it worked. Good luck to you. I use to over do it too when I had a treatment because my feet felt so good afterward. By the time I went back two days later I was ready for another treatment. Eventually I didn't have any pain. I am still doing well. Debbie