Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

after baby blues

Posted by Lara on 1/02/99 at 00:00 (002991)

Help, if anyone has any suggestions, I could use them. Up until I became pregnant with my third chold I was in good shape. I ran 3-4 times a week and lifted weights 2-3 times a week. I'm still carryong 25 pounds of excess weight. As a result, I have had severe heel pain in both feet since August. I know I need to get the weight off, but without my running I'm in need of some type of aerobic replacement. I don't wnat to swim because it does not contribute to weight loss. Could stationary biking give me enough to do the trick? Also, will I get some relief when my weight returns to normal? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Lara

Re: after baby blues

Dayna on 1/02/99 at 00:00 (002993)

If you had no pain before, losing the extra weight might help, especially if you did not experience pain with the other two pregnancies. Unfortunately, it might be that the stress of the third pregnancy was enough to break the camels feet if you'll pardon the perverted cliche. Stationary biking is indeed a good workout if it doesn't cause pain in the heels. You might not experience complete relief when the weight is gone though, results have been mixed. As with most of the suggestions for treatment/cure of this condition, most work for at least some people but not a one of them works for everyone, we just go by trial and error until we find what helps. Stay with the board and keep us updated. We do care and we understand. Congratulations on your children.

Gina on 1/02/99 at 00:00 (002994)

I'm 49 and have been swimming for the year and a half I've had PF. Although I had been gaining weight through my 40's, since I started lap swimming I have actually lost a few pounds without any diet modification. If you either limit intake of calories or burn more of them, you'll probably lose weight. Rigorous swimming definitely burns calories, greatly increases endurance, and probably will be the best thing for the PF. Stationary cycling always increased my PF pain and most doctors discouraged me from any exercise except swimming. And, my 11 year-old swim team daughter had a wonderful time 'coaching' me, especially pointing out all my faults and how to correct them! (Guess turn around IS fair play!)

Mary on 1/02/99 at 00:00 (002998)

Hi Laura. I know how you feel. My story is the same, my toruble started after my twin pregnancy. I too am still carrying alot of extra weight. But I believe you must try something to keep moving. I di water aerobics for one year and toned and had a great heart rate. I had to quit because the water gave me a rash. Here is some tips
Buy GOOD water aerobic shoes. This is critical to PF succcess in this sport. Work outs should be one hour long and vigorus. Look into the 'Y' they have great programs. Go for the advanced water aerobics class. Some pools offer deep water aerobics and water running! The instructor should be water certified instructor and not once removed from land aerobics. Use water weights for resitance some people use them for the entire class. Your shoes will proved some resitance. But you can also get weights for your feet. In deep water you have special equipment also. The faciity you join should provide this equipment.
If you want all the details on the benfits of water and the exact resistance I will be happy to proved good sites for you to visit. I also have good reference books you can pruchase.
GET WET. Now I miss it, maybe I will risk some itch this week! Take care Mary D
PS If you want to track weight loss, let me know and we can e-mail our results to each other on our private home e-mail. A good support crew is vital.
Happy New Year Mary D

Sandy on 1/10/99 at 00:00 (003200)

Lara, hang in there kiddo! Getting the weight off will definetly help! I was stationary biking and doing the stairmaster until I blew my other foot. I also worked with weights but that compounds the problem as does anything on your feet and the ground. It's a horrible situation. I have put a post up for any ideas and suggestions...read on down the list. Maybe someone can help us both! I have never weighed this much in my life! (about 15 lbs. over.)

Sandy on 1/10/99 at 00:00 (003202)

Mary, I would like to e-mail you for your information on the water workouts. (email removed). Thanks/Sandy

Re: after baby blues- Mary

Sandy on 1/10/99 at 00:00 (003203)

The second message is for you.