Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Less pain from hard-soled shoes

Posted by Jim on 1/06/99 at 00:00 (003085)

my doctor recommended wearing hard-soled shoes, and they do seem to relieve my PF pain somewhat. has anyone else ever heard this advice?

Re: Less pain from hard-soled shoes

John on 1/07/99 at 00:00 (003108)

Jim, I do believe that he may be correct. I believe that one of the reasons Birkenstock shoes work for a lot of people is the stiffness. I believe that a stiff shoe, expecially stiff under the arch, keeps the Plantar from being pulled and streched when you walk. That stiffness alone may not be all that helps. I believe that the arch support is importent. Get you a good custom orthotic. Read my response to the 'Heel Pain' message below. The boots that I used to hike in are extremly stiff. I get a little pain with them on. I also wear a Rockport walking shoe for everyday shoes. They are very stiff and only bend just behind the toes. During the Christmas holidays, I switched to my New Balance running shoes for a week and had some pain come back. That may have been because I was on my feet more than when I am at work. I have gone back to my Rockports and my heel is better. Good luck.

John on 1/07/99 at 00:00 (003109)

Jim, Read my response in 'NO MORE PAIN' below.

Jim on 1/07/99 at 00:00 (003114)

John,
I think you're right about the stiffness--stretching connection. I do have custom orthotics (altho' they don't fit in all of my shoes), and I've some success at reducing pain with off-the-shelf Birkenstock inserts, which basically provide an arch. My PF has come and gone, and I'm still trying to figure out what makes it go. The last time I was sure it was accupuncture, but recently I did some extensive accupuncture before a trip to Italy where I knew I'd be walking a lot on rough surfaces, and it didn't seem to do anything. I commute by bike, and I suspect that my typical bikers' stiffness contributes to my PF, so I'm focusing on stretching more.

Sandy on 1/10/99 at 00:00 (003195)

Hard soled shoes KILLED my feet and sent me to the freezer for ice after an hour or so in them. Hey, it they feel good to you wear 'em!