Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Has anyone had to quit their job?

Posted by Bobbie on 1/06/99 at 00:00 (003097)

I am afraid that I will have to quit my job because I simply can't stand or walk all day. The pain is doing me in. I don't want to quit but I see no alternative to this on going problem. Yesterday was an ok day but today was unbearable. Even on good days the pain is there with every step I take. I do not want to live on pain pills and have opted not to use them but I am at my wits end. I have had 3 acupuncture treatments and I was hoping they were helping but now I am not so sure. I am not ready for retirement yet.

Re: Has anyone had to quit their job?

HELEN on 1/06/99 at 00:00 (003099)

YES

I am a former nurse - I had to quit because of the PF. I now have a sit down job (at a computer all day). I have also talked with another former nurse who had to quit. It was really frustrating to give up a career that I had gone to school for & worked so hard to get!

Dayna on 1/07/99 at 00:00 (003106)

Yup. My employer had a very strict dress code, heels for women, no exceptions. After a few months of allowing me to wear Nursey Nancy orthopedic shoes and use a cane when needed, the rule came down to get myself back to a presentable appearance or there would be consequences. I had no choice but to resign before I was fired. I now have another job, luckily in the same industry (computers) where my boss also has PF so we both run around in our flats and orthotics. Her PF is slightly different than mine, she can wear sandals, she uses double-stick tape to keep the orthotics in place. I suppose I could have taken them to court, but why bother, I did know about the dress code when I accepted the position but Really! At least I did not have to change careers, I really sympathize with those who have lost their livelihood to this disease.

Suzy on 1/07/99 at 00:00 (003110)

Yep, I had to take a leave becouse of being in the retail Busness standing 10 hours a day. I was replaced after being gone to long. Its hard I had worked 10 years in this field and worked up the latter to a great career and all is gone now. Try not to be depressed and take what skills you have and aply them to another field.. We are all in the same boat! Good luck
Suzy

DENISE on 1/07/99 at 00:00 (003122)

I can relate to that , I fell in June and broke my leg and have developed this on top of osteoporsis in the foot from being casted and imoblized for 4 months with no weight bearing. I have been in the fast food business and have to train into a new field. It has been a long and painful road.

Bobbie on 1/07/99 at 00:00 (003130)

Thanks for understanding and the frustration I am going through. I have been at my job for 13 years but now I am nearing a point where I am going to have to make a decision. Either I work in torture or find a new job. Hard to do after this length of time. Unfortunately, there are no new openings in my office that only require sitting. So guess I will have to start checking the want ads. I just didn't think it would come to this.

Dayna on 1/08/99 at 00:00 (003138)

None of us thought it would be like this having PF. We can send people into space and retrieve them successfully, we can cure cancer, transplant organs, sustain life with kidney dialysis, so Why Can't We Fix Our Feet! We have a disability just as real as people who have missing limbs or non-working limbs due to paralysis. If your job doesn't require you to climb ladders or etc. you should be allowed to use any means of locomotion that work for you. And let's put pressure on the medical establishment to do research on PF with the aim of finding a cure. Even if you could get a stool to rest on when not actively needing to be on your feet, that might be enough to let you limp along, no pun intended, and keep your job. If you will need retraining, talk to your local Unemployment office, you might qualify for benefits and/or retraining money since you are quitting due to a medical condition that makes it impossible for you to do your job. It's worth a chance, and let us know what happens, we do care.

Robin on 1/08/99 at 00:00 (003144)

I didn't have to quit -- but I did leave a job not long ago that required me to be on my feet too often. Everyone was very nice, very gracious, very understanding about PF -- but then reality set in, the work had to get done, and if I had to be on my feet more than I wanted to do get the job done, so be it. So I left. I had saved enough money to limp along financially for awhile, which is what I am doing now. I am also looking for another job. Most of my work tends to be pretty desk-and-keyboard related and I am really limiting myself to applying for ONLY office sit-down jobs now. Which restricts my options even more.

If there is absolutely no way that your employer can accommodate your greater need to get off your feet -- I hate to say it, but I would support your resigning and going elsewhere. Even if it means retraining yourself and moving into a different line of work. No point in letting the need to make money debilitate your physical health worse than it is with PF.

Before PF, I never thought much or knew much about chronic pain. One of the lessons PF has taught me is that steady, unrelenting discomfort is completely exhausting. Just doing normal activities like taking a shower, brushing your teeth, grocery shopping, running errands -- take forever! I try to minimize all unnecessary steps, inside and outside my home; I try to minimize all unnecessary activities; I try to conserve my best and limited foot energy for those activities I really value -- and at night I fall into bed exhausted, desperate for sleep which at least offers some unconscious relief. To my mind, I need a job which will pay my bills and let me do something moderately satisfying -- but which doesn't make a bad situation worse.

Bobbie -- what is it you do? Is there no adjustment your employer can make that will help you or reduce the standing time?

Sharon H on 1/09/99 at 00:00 (003168)

Dayna, I can't believe that anyone would say that HEELS make the job! I am sure that you did a great job no matter what your footwear looked like! A lawsuit would seem to be in order but I know how difficult it is to prove things. I believe I got my pf from waitressing on a hard floor. I am glad that you are happy in your new career choice and can work with someone who is understanding of pf. Good luck!

Sharon H on 1/09/99 at 00:00 (003169)

How would you ever prove that your job is what caused your pf? I am sure that the restaurant would just tell me I have to lose weight! But I know skinny girls who also had the same problem from waitressing on the hard floor. It is so frustrating because our disability isn't noticeable to anyone...we don't have a cast on, we don't look pale, our hair isn't falling out,.... we JUST have feet that hurt. Unless you have pf, nobody understands that 'JUST'. Keep a great outlook!