Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthotripsy

Posted by John G on 1/07/99 at 00:00 (003104)

dd. You are right, I was involved with the initial placement of the Ossatron in Toronto. I have no interest in promoting the machine to anyone, as I have exactly ZERO responsibility for any US sales even when it becomes FDA approved. If you review any of my postings you will notice that they are all in response to people interested in being treated, or attempting to address misconceptions. Over the last few months since the clinic in Toronto started operating, there have been alot of incredible successes in treating PF, Tennis elbow, and shoulder tendinitis that I have told about. There have of course been a small # of failures. I really want to scream when I read some of the stories from people wasting tons of money on 'snake oil' treatments after what the folks in Toronto have seen. Alot of people now realize that it's not a matter of IF, but a matter of time until the Ossatron becomes the first line of treatment for PF and other orthopaedic problems. I really do hope that I have not come across as a salesman, but as someone that has seen firsthand what this treatment can do and wants to share this information with people that can benefit from it. ps. My mother (71) is preparing to have her shoulder treated on the Ossatron within the next few weeks. John G

Re: Orthotripsy

Barbara on 1/07/99 at 00:00 (003113)

John, I agree that you have not really been trying to 'sell' anything here and I really appreciate all the information you have provided. Do you happen to know anything about the status of FDA approval in the US or should I try to contact the Healthtronics people directly?

John G. on 1/07/99 at 00:00 (003119)

Barbara, I really don't know very much about the FDA status of the Ossatron. What I do know is that things are really going well. Mr. John Warlick at HealthTronics may be able to give you an update. He can be reached at 1-800-464-3795. Good luck.

Robin on 1/07/99 at 00:00 (003124)

John, I am following Becky's progress with interest, and I think at some point in the future this might be a premier mode of treatment for PF and similar tissue related maladies. Meanwhile -- I have gone back through the whole board and re-read your posts. Other than being 'involved with the initial placement,' what exactly is your role now? Are you involved with sales, promotion or marketing of the OssaTron utillization in Canada, whether or not by U.S. citizens? In other words -- do you get some or any form of compensation from the orthotripsy treatment now being rendered in Canada?

If indeed people from the PF board seem a little distrustful or suspicious of your frequent and enthusiastic posting, I think perhaps it comes from your use of phrases such as 'snake oil' relating to treatment methods that people are now trying. Nobody really likes to have a phrase like 'snake oil' applied to their very own current medical choices. I'm sure you didn't intend it to sound cavalier, but the phraseology may be working against you. (By the way, I loved one of the older posts to Scott -- it wasn't yours -- that said, 'Someday you will understand our technology.' I thought -- what is this, Planet of the Bizarro Alien Posters?)

Your comments describe a great deal of successful treatment, compared to a 'small #' of failures. John -- I would presume that somewhere, maybe even in the popular press or on the Internet somewhere, there is a collection of written testimony or evidence from many of the patients who constitute these numerous success stories? (i.e., rather than 'institutionalized' case studies, which of course are always slightly suspect) It would help if you could direct us to these. First of all, we wouldn't all have to rely on poor Becky to always fill us in. Also, it would help to have a broader base of 'real people' reactions, responses and impressions from which each of us may consider his or her choices around this type of treatment. Thanks, John

John G on 1/08/99 at 00:00 (003141)

Robin. You make me feel like I am on trial or something. My company sells the Ossatron in Canada only. We do not run it or promote the Institute for Sports Medicine where it is operated. My input is of an informational service only, because as you deduced from reviewing my postings, I am extremely excited about it's future. My apoligies if I have somehow offended you.

John G on 1/08/99 at 00:00 (003142)

Robin, If you want additional info, try the Institute's unfinished web site at Orthotripsy.com

Elise on 1/08/99 at 00:00 (003157)

John,
I personally have found many of your messages to be unsympathetic and fairly rude. Nonetheless, I am still interested in the treatment. I submitted a question to your center which was never answered.

I would like to know if there is a downside risk - do the 'limited numbe (10-20%??)' of failures remain at status quo or are any people worse off. Does there seem to be any pattern to the successes vs. failures?

John G on 1/09/99 at 00:00 (003173)

Elise, Sorry for my lack of tact. As it turned out I visited Dr. Galea at the Institute of Sports Medicine yesterday while he was doing cases. The good news is that they have looked at their anesthesia protocall and instituted major changes. The bottom line is that the pain produced during treatment is significantly reduced. As far as anyone getting worse after the treatment, I am personally not aware of that ever been reported. I asked Dr. Galea about his results over the last 8 weeks, and he is a happy man. Every one of the patients treated that he was able to follow up on has experienced significant improvment or total remission with the exception of one patient that was suspected of having a neurologic problem from the start. He was treating a lady from San Francisco yesterday that tolerated the treatment very well and he expects her to enjoy a total recovery. The web site is not connected yet so responses are not being recieved. You can get additional info at their booking office, Orthotripsy Canada at 1-888-274-6610. Good Luck.