Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Howdy!

Posted by Paymon on 1/07/99 at 00:00 (003112)

Hi folks, I just came across this site and it seems to have a world of info! I've had this problem for over a year now. I don't know how it started, but I used to play soccer. Now I just dream of the day when I can get back out on the field and play soccer or basketball again (or just walk normal!). I've tried heel cushions and anti-inflammatory (naproxen) so far, but now I will use other advice on this site. I've only been to 1 doctor (orhoped. surgeon), and he didn't know anything
He gave me a cortisone shot which lasted less than a week!

Re: Howdy!

alex on 1/07/99 at 00:00 (003118)

Welcome aboard, and to the club of those who understand something about PainFul feet! I sympathize with you greatly - I was a very active tennis player and have not been able to play for quite a while. I can manage the occasional round of golf, but that's it.

Take some time and read all the back messages on this site - you'll learn a lot - and keep us posted as to what works and doesn't work for you.

Robin on 1/07/99 at 00:00 (003125)

Welcome -- you have lots of company here. One of the most interesting things about PF to me is that SO many people on this board come from active backgrounds -- soccer, tennis, running, walking, hiking, dancing, racquetball -- all weight-bearing activities. And now we're all sidelined by this crummy condition.

This board and Scott's main page will help a lot. Personally, on the low-end of the invasive/non-invasive issue -- I recommend Birkenstocks. I'm just starting with them (have Eastlands too -- they're good, but they're not Birks) but I have high hopes. It was over-use and improper foot care (along with improper shoes) that got me into this condition -- so I'm hoping proper shoes will help towards getting me out. I'm not a big advocate of cortisone. You won't find many here that are -- too many people have been hurt by it. Anyway, welcome.

Sandy in Ohio on 1/10/99 at 00:00 (003220)

Welcome! I just started visiting this site a few weeks ago. I have really learned alot...more than what my podiatrist has told me (which hasn't been much). I have received 2 cortizone shots since November, and they did nothing for me. My Doctor advised one inche to one and a half inch heels. Those really help. Of course, you don't want to purchase 'cheap' shoes either. I favor Easy Spirit shoes and Hush Puppies. In reading this board, there is talk about Birkenstock shoes. I have to investigate these. I don't even know where to find them. Hope to chat with you again. Good luck. By the way, I go back to the podiatrist tomorrow. I have no idea what is in store as my condition has not improved; only if I wear heels am I pain free.