Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

wondering about night splints and other treatments

Posted by Mary Ann on 1/08/99 at 00:00 (003153)

I have had severe heel pain since Sept. I had been treated for a herniated disc and began walking and the the pain started. I wear orthoticsand the ones I have had for 8years, are made of non flelible material. I have taken Naproxyn, Relaphen with no relief of pain. I had another orthotic made by physical therapy which can only be used in my walking shoes and did not help. I went to a podiatrist and taping of my foot only made it more painful. He said to wear my old orthotic and started on Cataflan. It was wonderful. I had immediate relief of most of the pain and occcassionally would have more intense but it did not last. I felt I was getting better because I was only taking the med. 2x day for a few days and then i ran out. It has only been 1 day and my severe pain is back. My ankle gets sore and also my leg and shopping a little. I have been doing the ice, massage, calf stretch, putting a towel around the ball of my foot in the am. I have not really had more pain in the a.m. it is always. I went to check on a night splint because the dr. thought it might help anyway and the cost was $277.00. I could have cried. It really doesn't seem like things really help this problem fromwhat I have been reading. I have been out of work since July because of my back problem and can not imagine returning(I am a nurse, and on my feet all shift) with this pain. Sorry this is so long, hope someone will take time to read it and offer your suggestions.

Re: wondering about night splints and other treatments

Bea on 1/08/99 at 00:00 (003161)

I can just tell you what seems to help with some. Icing, accupuncture Birkenstocks, read all the messages on this board there is a wealth of info.

Robin on 1/09/99 at 00:00 (003172)

There are night splints available on the Internet for around $75-$90. I think if you go back to the main document (maybe in the product section?), Scott has included a photo of one. There may be a distributor listed also under products. Also, you can use any search engine to bring up night splints and see a selection of what's available. I also have this printed catalog a friend gave me that shows a night splint for $60. Check out http://www.feelgoodcatalog.com .

I like the theory of a night splint because I think it keeps the foot in proper flexion, but I also have doubts about whether constantly stretching for 6-8 hours while asleep might damage the Achilles tendon. For myself, my PF is tough enough -- but I CAN get around if I don't overdo it. So I am very concerned about not trying remedies that might worsen it. Some of the night splints available look like monstrous contraptions -- hard to believe they would help from the look of them. A few people have posted success with night splints but there have also been some who have been damaged by them. That maks me cautious.

Cheryl R. on 1/09/99 at 00:00 (003174)

I've had a heel spur for over 2 years and recently had surgery. Before the surgery I tried the night splint. It made it worse. The pain was much worse than before I used the night splint. The only relief I got was buying new shoes (running shoes by Nike) and using orthonics in them. I also had my foot in a cast for 6 weeks prior to the surgery. This helped to a certain extent, but as soon as the cast was removed, 2 days later the pain started all over again. I'm not sure there is a cure for heel pain. I've had the surgery and still have severe pain in the mornings and after getting up from sitting. I can't work my evening job because I can't stand on my feet for long periods of time. Good luck with whatever you try. I hope it works for you.

Gina on 1/09/99 at 00:00 (003178)

If the Cataflam was so helpful, why not ask for another prescription; I was on Cataflam for 3 months, but it did not ease the pain. Also, you might check and see if your doctor can prescribe a night splint or make one in his office; that way, your insurance would probably cover it. My night splint was made during an office visit and billed to insurance, which paid it 90% (and I don't have a great insurance plan!). For me, the night splint was uncomfortable, but I did get used to it. Unfortunately, neither it, nor casting, helped me.

cheryl on 1/09/99 at 00:00 (003193)

Why use an expensive night splint when you can use the sock
recommended on this web site. I use the sock and it does help.
Its not a cure but does give me some relief.

Karen on 1/10/99 at 00:00 (003208)

Cheryl:

I am a new viewer on this page and was wondering what you meant by a sock----knowing you mean something to wear at night, but where do you get it?

Thanks for your help
Karen