Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Have orthotics do I still need stability style running shoe?

Posted by Kristin on 1/09/99 at 00:00 (003182)

Wonder if those who have orthotics in their shoes for pronation problems still wear stability or motion control type of running shoes? I showed my doc the sneakers I have which are very rigid for motion control and when I asked him if I could go to a more cushiony shoe he replied with, 'Uh..yeah..sure'. No confidence in that answer! My orthotics are very hard so I wanted to find a shoe with a little more give. Thanks!

Re: Have orthotics do I still need stability style running shoe?

Becky on 1/09/99 at 00:00 (003187)

My doctor gave me a list of approved shoes. Some are Asics running and NB running. These are the ones I like best. I have tried several different kinds and would prefer having my feet up. Since that is not possible in this lifetime, try the NB 990. They are good and do well with custom orthotics. I did Asics 125 as well and they are good too. Good luck. Have never tried Birks insoles

cheryl on 1/09/99 at 00:00 (003192)

I found that if I wear my inserts with my Saucony shoes (Swirve)
and I use the heel lifts recommended by Scott (on this net)I have no problem.
I can now run 8 miles a day without pain. I then follow up with
wearing my high heels afterward to keep my foot stretched. I also
use the nightsock recommended too for morning pain. At least now
my pain does not control me I control it
!

Re: Have orthotics do I still need stability style running shoe?-follow up to Cheryl

Kristin on 1/10/99 at 00:00 (003211)

Cheryl, it is soooo good to hear someone say they are back running again! I haven't ran since July 28th (can you tell I miss it?) and the doc has given me the go ahead to start walking as a exercise alternative so I am kind of psyched for that. I have Saucony Stabil's and I find that they are too hard in the heel and without being able to use the inserts that come in the shoes and using my hard orthotics if feels like I am running on cement blocks. Did you have any treatments such as cortisone or acupuncture? Are your Swerve's a stability shoe? Thanks for the reply, it's great to hear someone running again!

Re: Have orthotics do I still need stability style running shoe?-follow up to Becky

Kristin on 1/10/99 at 00:00 (003212)

Thanks Becky for replying. I did try some NB's on the other day, they had the visible rollbar. The sales guy said they were this year's version of the 851's. Too many #s to remember. Why do you wear orthotics? I tend to roll my foot in. Well thanks for the information, take care!

John on 1/12/99 at 00:00 (003279)

Kristin, I am a runner and have the same question. If you get an answer, please post it for everyone else. I have been out of running since April last year. My pain is almost gone. I am 6'1' and currently weigh 190. I have added about 10# since April. I have a pair of NB 877 shoes that seem OK. They are cushion. With a drug store orthotic, they seem to work OK. I have been taking some short and careful runs (1/4 mile). I will probably go with these shoes unless I find something better.

I have talked with a person at Road Runner Sports about their shoe recommendation for someone just starting back from PF. They recommend a cushion shoe. The NB 877 that I have show as a cushion shoe. At this point I think a cushion shoe would probably be best for me. I have a normal arch and average pronation. The 877's with the soft orthotic that I am using seem to be a good combo for me. If you look at cushion shoes, look for ones that are fairly rigid in the mid shoe. I used to run in Nikes. Never again. No more noodles for me.

Also, do you or anyone else have recommendations on when to start running again? How pain free should I be? My pain is mild enough to run very short distances with no problems, but how do I know when it is safe to really start back running?

Good running.