Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

The use of Glucosamine-sulfate to help PF

Posted by Jennifer carol on 1/09/99 at 00:00 (003184)

I have been trying Glucosamine sulfate for 6 months now as to get some anti-inflammatory relief. I beleive it has helped a little. I use 500 mg. three times a day.Has anyone else had any benefit with this. I used to be an avid walker and I'm going nuts not being able to exercise as often. I also use orthotics, weekly cort injections, Nsaids, some stretching, limiting walking, etc. I found my feet really cramp up when a storm is pending due to the barametric changes. This is my second bout with this. 5 years ago it was brought on by aerobic dancing 6 days a week and walking. How are any of you really dealing with this?

Re: The use of Glucosamine-sulfate to help PF

Bobbie on 1/09/99 at 00:00 (003185)

I am on my 3rd bottle and so far see little difference. Read through all the wonderful articles here and listen to the sage advice given by other sufferers. Our only recourse is to stick together with this miserable problem.

Becky on 1/09/99 at 00:00 (003186)

Hasn't helped me, no 'herbs' have. I am crossing my fingers for the hope of the Ossatron

Robin on 1/09/99 at 00:00 (003188)

I too was an avid walker -- 30 to 40 miles a week. Good for weight control, wonderful for the soul. Now, I never walk. Thirty yards from my car to a store is a major event. However, I am using a stationary bike on a limited basis and it helps a little.

Have only been using glucosamine for a month, am starting my second month. I take about 1800 mg a day. I don't honestly know if it's working yet or not. Most times I can get around in a limited sort of way so maybe it is helping. Please be aware, glucosamine sulfate is not an anti inflamatory. You may want to try Bromelain for a natural anti inflamatory, if you have a pretty stable digestive system. I haven't tried it because I have a sensitive GI track -- but I do hear real positive things about its anti-inflam properties.

Sally T. on 1/09/99 at 00:00 (003189)

Glucosamine sulfate seemed to be helping me quite a bit. I had much less pain but discovered I was alergic to the sulfate. Broke out in a terribly itchy rash. I had to stop taking it and had to get a perscription ointment to heal the rash. Oh well, back to the drawing board!

Sandy in Ohio on 1/10/99 at 00:00 (003221)

I'm still new at this an am reading quite a bit here. Hate to sound stupid, but is glucosomine sulfate a vitamin? I never heard of it til now. Can I buy it at any drugstore? Something has got to help...there's time when I just want to scream from the pain when I start walking (in my tennis shoes that is. When I wear heels, I don't seem to have much or very little pain. But I can't wear heels constantly! The morning kills me--when I wake up, I look like Tim Conaway from Carol Burnett show when he used to do the elderly gentleman skit!

eta on 1/10/99 at 00:00 (003222)

No, the GS is not a vitamin but a supplement that the body naturally produces. I am trying it now...but have used it less than a week. Some say it's a miracle...some not. I may be using the wrong kind..but will finish the bottle at any rate. Best of luck. You are not alone :)

elaine

Barbara on 1/11/99 at 00:00 (003237)

Do you really get cortisone shots once a week? My doctor never gives them in the heel because of the risk of destroying the heel pad itself. They can also cause other serious side effects. I hope you will investigate the use of cortisone before contining them. If you read this site you will find that shots have not helped most of us at this site and if they do help they only help for a short period of time. I had one shot which did nothing for me before changing from a podiatrist to an orthopedist. Best, Barbara

Re: The use of Glucosamine-(SULFATE not HCL) to help PF

Diane R. on 1/11/99 at 00:00 (003243)

Some who have had problems taking the glucosamine or did not feel it worked may have been using the type with HCL instead of sulfate. I tried that (with chronditin) and it did nothing. Then switched to sulfate and feel it is helpful.

Sandy in Ohio on 1/11/99 at 00:00 (003251)

ETA- let me know how you do on it. I'm going to check the health food stores this weekend. Sandy

Re: The use of Glucosamine-(SULFATE not HCL) to help PF

Sandy in Ohio on 1/11/99 at 00:00 (003253)

Thank you Diane! I am going to get some this weekend and will make sure it is sulfate, not HCL. I appreciate any help I can get,both supportive and pain relieving!

eta on 1/11/99 at 00:00 (003258)

I think the response after the one below is correct...I am taking the wrong supplement. But after investing 20 dollars...I am gonna finish it before I try the GS. I have heard several say the same thing.

elaine

Helen on 1/11/99 at 00:00 (003271)

I took the Glucosamine Chrondroitin. My experience was not good - it knocked me out for about an hour and then when I woke up it was as if I had taken a diuretic (water pill). I noticed that the swelling on the bottom of my feet and around my ankles was gone. For a few hours my feet felt better ( I guess because the chronic swelling was gone). I felt light headed though, and confused. Once that feeling wore off so did the relief in my feet. I was back to the same old pain
! I won't take it again. I'm still having bladder spasms from it.