Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Alternative non-weight bearing exercise suggestions?

Posted by Sandy on 1/10/99 at 00:00 (003194)

I am 41, was VERY active and need some success stories on what people have done to replace the weight bearing excercising with non weightbearing exercises. I have had the bilateral pf release recently but have to do something or the gained weight will continue to compound the problem. I am interested to know, are most suffering at a resonable weight? I'm open for any suggestions. I used to work out with weights never relizing at the time I was enhancing the problem. (As I crawled out of the gym.) Any ideas would be appreciated as the less I move, the heavier I get.

Re: Alternative non-weight bearing exercise suggestions?

eta on 1/10/99 at 00:00 (003209)

eta on 1/10/99 at 00:00 (003210)

I am 5'4 and 155 lbs... Is that a reasonable weight? I was also very active was doing aerobics every day for an hour for more than 2 years(jazzercise) Now my husband and I joined a gym and I work the stationary bike for the aerobics and work the weight machines...but have gained about 5 lbs since doing this. I am wondering if the gain will be increasing. I had to quit the aerobics 6 mos ago. I worked out through the pain for 6 mos (stupid that that was) before I knew what I had. Finally quit when the other foot did the same thing. I am very bored with the gym thing but I feel I have no options.

Again, I apologize for duplicating messages. I someday will break the habit of accidently hitting the enter button too soon.

Robin on 1/10/99 at 00:00 (003216)

Sandy, I am having pretty good luck with a stationary bike. I think it's important to use a bike that feels individually comfortable, and to get one with foot pedal that won't irritate your feet -- and that seems to be especially individual and personal.

I am in PT for a ripped knee ligament right now. I started using a bike there, and I have one at home which I use. At PT they have just started me on a stepper as well. My therapist is very aware of PF and has shown me some ways to use the stepper that don't flex my foot. Of course, it's a gym quality stepper with gigantic pedals -- you could put 3 feet on each pedal and still have room. Personally, I think the cardinal rule is -- if you try a piece of equipment and feel too much of a stretch in your foot and ankle -- try something else.

I too have gained weight since the onset of PF. Of course I would like to shed it. But the truth is -- alleviating or (hopefully) eliminating the PF is my first concern and I'm sure not going to do anything to worsen it.

Sandy in Ohio on 1/10/99 at 00:00 (003219)

Hi Sandy! I do 10 minutes of stretching and then I go on my exercise bike for 15-20 minutes 3 times a week. That seems to be ok for my foot. Sometimes it feels a bit stiff for a while, then it goes away. It seems if I do the wrong stretch and put weight on my foot, I then feel a stiffness for a few hours after I work out. Hope this helps.

Diane F. on 1/10/99 at 00:00 (003223)

Did you gain the weight when you started weight training?Muscle will weight more then fat and if you do not seem heavier fat wise, that might be it.

eta on 1/10/99 at 00:00 (003224)

Thanks Diane, and you are absoutely correct. I teach Science and in my density unit, I teach that very fact. I dont think the weight I have gained is muscle, I don't think I have worked the weight that much. I would love for it to be. I think it is fat due to the eating of the holidays...and the time we took off from the gym. I intend to go back on a regular basis starting tomorrow. But my heart really isn't in that bicycle. I loved the jazzercise cause I love to dance. But I am gonna due the best I can. Thanks and TTYL

Dayna on 1/11/99 at 00:00 (003238)

I had this problem at 5'4' and 120 lbs, I had this problem at 142 lbs, I had this problem at 170 lbs, I have this problem at 1?? lbs, I don't think weight is the problem. For some people, excess weight may have brought it on so losing it might help, but if you had it when you were skinny weight didn't cause it. Older postings have some people get relief with weight loss, others not. Just like nearly every treatment suggested, it helps some and does nothing for others. I suggest you try bicycling and/or weight lifting. You can do leg presses which are similar to weight-bearing and will build muscle which takes more calories just to maintain. I find that weight lifting helps me keep from getting any fatter as long as I take reasonable care to eat well and only when I'm hungry. Good luck and keep us informed, we do care.

Alicia on 1/11/99 at 00:00 (003272)

Sandy: I have been a fitness instructor at the local 'Y' for 6 years. I taught and took 3-4 weight bearing classes per week for many years. I pushed through the pain of PF in both feet until about 3 months ago. I can no longer do the step, aerobic, etc. classes without being in excruciating pain afterwards. I tried spinning, but it is boring to me after the fun of moving to the beat in classes. So, I bought a recumbent stationary bike for my home and now I do 30 minutes 5 times a week, along with light weight toning 2-3 times a week. I am maintaining my weight (I'm 5'2', 135 lbs). I am also trying to make every bite I put in my mouth nutritionally worth it, since I'm 38 years old and know my metabolism is going to slow down. Try a bike, it works for some people. Also, I think it is really important to watch food portions and eat as healthy as you can. Weight training can build muscle, which burns more calories than fat. Good luck.

Sandy - Thanks for great ideas on 1/11/99 at 00:00 (003274)

Hi everyone! thanks for your help and responses...and so fast
I think that I will opt for the bike and steps for a start. I'll let you know how it works. I failed to mention that I am 5'8' and 150 and up until last year when I could bear it no more was walking 6 miles 5 times a week. The bike and stepper 'feel' like they will be a good start and I am looking forward to getting back in shape. Maybe I will get to ski this year after all! Thanks for the encouragement! Everything is very encouraging. By the way, I am 2 weeks post opt and today was able to get my hiking boots on (nike ace) and feel wonderful! Now for my workout shoes...
Thanks again! I'll keep you posted!

suzi on 1/12/99 at 00:00 (003288)

Sandy, aqua aerobics has saved my life
! I had a baby 8 months ago and am back down to my original weight thanks to this class, it's the only thing I can do!