Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ankle pain and stiffness

Posted by wendy on 1/11/99 at 00:00 (003232)

After a year of PF, and after having done all the recommended treatments of night splint, orthotics, casting, stretching, cortisone, taping, etc. to no avail, I have now developed ankle pain and stiffness,especially bad when climbing up stairs. Has anyone else had this weird addition to PF?

Re: ankle pain and stiffness

Marilyn on 2/19/99 at 00:00 (004956)

I also develope this ankle stiffness and pain on occasion, usually following a bad bout with PF. I suspect it is the result of altered biomechanics at the ankle in order to compensate for PF pain. When the PF causes pain at the heel and throughout the arch, the natural mechanism for dealing with this is to reduce the amount the tissue is stretched. This stretch is the greatest when you're pushing off. To reduce the stetch, my foot/ankle complex responds by rolling off the 5th metatarsal rather than the normal 1st or big toe. Repeated movement like this is bound to result in discomfort in the ankle due to unnatural rotations (and probably high moments in the inversion/eversion plane) or something else. I sometimes feel like it's a pinched nerve and if the ankle were pulled it would be released.
That's my theory!

alex on 1/11/99 at 00:00 (003234)

When my PF has been really bad, I have experienced severe pain throughout the ankle and into the Achilles Tendon. Since I have been following courses of acupuncture I have not had any of the searing pain - but my foot and ankle are very stiff in the morning and after I have been sitting still for an hour or so. Goes away with stretching, but I am still always aware of the vulnerability of my foot.
I have been taking heavy duty vitamins for 6 weeks, and Glucosomine Sulfate for three weeks. The Vitamins have helped with my circulation problem, can't really say whether or not they have made a difference with the PF. Generally I am much better than I was - but at this moment hopes for a complete cure are fading.......

Bea on 1/11/99 at 00:00 (003265)

I have severe pain along my achilles heel, I had heel spurs 11 years ago, now this achilles heel thing is awful I can't wear shoe with backs on them. Seem to be caused by calcium deposits which is the same as the heel spurs, different place.

Alicia on 1/11/99 at 00:00 (003270)

My PF has been worse in the last 3-4 months (I've had it in both feet for about 7-8 years). My ankles and calves bother me most of the time and I attribute it to fatigue and compensation for the foot pain. Stretching and ankle rolls help, but don't cure.

Dayna on 1/12/99 at 00:00 (003292)

I've had this for years and years, well before I got PF, and so did my mother although she never developed PF despite being 5'3' and 240 lbs for 30+ years (another reason I don't believe that weight and/or loss thereof is a guaranteed reason to get it or way to fix it). I have stiffness and discomfort at the top of the foot where it meets the ankle, sometimes it is extremely painful. It helps if my husband pulls on the foot, sometimes that seems to 'unhook the catch' and removes the discomfort but only if I stay off it for a while, I suspect that there is something that gets out of place.

Ruth Morrow on 1/13/99 at 00:00 (003336)

I had 2 kinds of problems with my ankle. One problem was excruciating pain, the other was the inability to turn my foot towards the outside (I think normal range of motion is 60 degrees). The first problem was solved by my chiropractor. See message above under Active Release Therapy. The first time it happened, one of my metatarsals was twisted out of place and a second time one of the tarsals was out of place. It makes sense that if you are in pain and can't put your foot down in a normal position when you walk, that something might slip out of place. The second problem was solved by seeing a physical therapist. When I talked to my podiatrist about these problems, her response was a dismissive, 'you probably have (wear and tear) arthritis in there. There's nothing you can do.'

Janine on 1/14/99 at 00:00 (003444)

It's so funny that you said that about your husband pulling your foot. I have the same problem, except my friend was pulling on my foot on a trip to San Francisco one time - I was on the bed, and he was at the window seat - and he almost went right out the window
! It never did pop that day either. Haha!

I used to get it much worse when I worked at a salon, 9 hours on my feet on tile floors. I used an air cast for a while, but nothing ever eliminated it completely.

The best I can do for mine is try not to stand in one place too long, even if it means walking in circles or in place while I wait on line. (I do get some funny looks sometimes though.)

Always keep something on those feet - even if it's just foam insoles in your slippers at home. Barefeet are the worst
!

and...if you have orthotics, wear them as often as possible
!
:)
http://www.orthotics.com

Marilyn on 2/19/99 at 00:00 (004956)

I also develope this ankle stiffness and pain on occasion, usually following a bad bout with PF. I suspect it is the result of altered biomechanics at the ankle in order to compensate for PF pain. When the PF causes pain at the heel and throughout the arch, the natural mechanism for dealing with this is to reduce the amount the tissue is stretched. This stretch is the greatest when you're pushing off. To reduce the stetch, my foot/ankle complex responds by rolling off the 5th metatarsal rather than the normal 1st or big toe. Repeated movement like this is bound to result in discomfort in the ankle due to unnatural rotations (and probably high moments in the inversion/eversion plane) or something else. I sometimes feel like it's a pinched nerve and if the ankle were pulled it would be released.
That's my theory!