Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Walking a bit

Posted by Jude on 1/11/99 at 00:00 (003244)

I have been away for awhile and coming back here is like coming home to old friends. You are all so kind and caring, it's so comforting to be here.I live 3 blocks from work and it has made me absolutely crazy starting my big van and driving it that distance. With the Strassberg socks,glucosamine,cataplex c, exercise,and rigid soled hiking boots,(I live in ND) I have walked it 10 times in the last week! This is miniscule in comparison with what I used to walk in addition to it, but what a huge step .I was becoming terribly depressed being inside,gaining weight,there was no sunshine it seemed. At least now it seems there is a ray of hope at the end of this long and painful tunnel I have been mincing my way through for the last 9 months.It is not pain free, but it is a bearable pain and after PF sets in, just finding a way to carry on is a miracle. Thanks for listening always-you are the best.Jude

Re: Walking a bit

Sandy in Ohio on 1/11/99 at 00:00 (003257)

I just started visiting this board a few weeks ago and the support amazes me. I just want to tell you I share in your accomplishment too. Think positive and I hope your success continues. Let me know. I care.

Jude on 1/12/99 at 00:00 (003283)

Sandy it was nice to hear from you. Tell me what you have been trying.It always helps to share,doesn't it ? Makes you feel so not all alone with this pain.And you are not alone.We are here.

Sandy in Ohio on 1/13/99 at 00:00 (003371)

My podiatrist recommended that I always wear heels; no flats. I wear about 1 inch to 1-1/2 inch heels. Not that does not mean high heels or 'spiked' heels. I prefer pumps and also shoes that have height: a heel that is not more than 1-1/2 inch. I do exercise, but watch my feet. I stretch before I exercise; then I ride my bike for about 15-20 minutes. If I feel a tightness in my foot, I usually back down on my time. I started physical therapy today; it seems encouraging, but the therapist told me that this will never go away. The PT helps on relief. I have 5 more sessions to go. I have special stretching exercises for my foot. You are right; we are not alone as my family does not seem to understand the pain I experience. Does your family help you out? Keep me informed on what you are doing also to help relieve the pain. I look forward to this board for support!
By the way,I do not buy discount shoes. I buy rather expensive shoes (on sale if I can find them on sale) which is another thing my dr told me--never buy shoes from discount stores.

BOBBIE on 1/13/99 at 00:00 (003387)

I find I can't wear heals at all because it puts too much pressure on my the tender ball of my foot and causes numbness and tingling. I have to wear good supportive shoes with lots of cush and arch support. This is difficult since I work in an office but it is either that or not being able to do my job at all. I think I have problems in the ball of my foot because I have had to favor my painful heal for so long. Now I just have pain all over my foot and ankle. Such a life we live.

Re: Walking a bit - Jude

Sandy in Utah on 1/13/99 at 00:00 (003393)

Hang in there Jude! Feet that suffer together at least have good company! Hope the sunshine shines for you. Here's to your feet...keep the van warm!