Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Magnet inserts for relieving pain

Posted by Nadine on 1/12/99 at 00:00 (003281)

I am a recent patient of PF. Unfortunately I did not know much about it, until I decided to come on the net and see if there were other sufferers. Unfortunately for all of you there are.. and for the pain , I am truly sorry for you, and wish we could all get some well deserved relief. I think my problem stemmed from somewhat flat feet, and doing the Nordic Track in little flat shoes. Oh, how dumb on my part. Little did I know what a stupid thing that I think I have done. I did go to an orthopedic surgeon, but I'm not sure that was as efficient as a podiatrist. Who knows that decision, but relief would be welcomed. Has anyone tried the magnet shoe inserts?? I always worry about something being hocus pocus.. but my nieces had shin splints, and are now trying them. They are just marveled at their working for them. I'm not sure about them, though, and wondered if anyone had some input. Thank you.. and I pray for all of you some relief.

Re: Magnet inserts for relieving pain

Jude on 1/12/99 at 00:00 (003282)

Welcome Nadine,you have friends here.I tried the magnetic inserts with the raised bumps.They irritated my feet with bumps up, so I tried them upside down with no real improvement for me. The positive side is that apparently it can take up to a month to see the effects for most people,so it is something to keep trying if it isn't irritating to you.I discussed this with my chiropractor (who is very open minded) and he said magnets as a rule work for one in six people. I have been taking everything with a grain of salt ( usually accompanied by a margarita) so I am not sure if that is personal experience talking or actual documentation. Anyway, they are worth a try before anything more invasive. You could be one of the lucky six!

Nadine on 1/12/99 at 00:00 (003284)

Thank you so much, Jude. I have been looking at all sorts of them. Some with very raised areas.. some with hidden magnets.. some that are really tiny. Maybe your idea of a margarita now and then, is a better fix. Ha And, yes.. I do think that all doctors are not created equal in their knowledge of PF. Wow, the pain.. unreal. With my family luck,,, I highly doubt that I'd be the one of six, but I'll keep my thoughts open for now. Thanks again.

Jude on 1/12/99 at 00:00 (003285)

Hey, we could maybe turn this into the Jude and Nadine board!The thing that I truly believe has helped me the most was wearing a pair of Strassberg Socks to bed.(I have it in both feet)They were pricey- $42 per pair,cumbersome and definitely not provocative,but I really think they work. They are a rather normal white sock with a velcro attachment that keeps the toes pulled back away from the level of your foot.It's kind of difficult to picture, but in keeping that stretch all night,those first agonizing steps in the morning are bearable.I can actually get to the bathroom in a hurry if I need to instead of laying there getting my courage up to put my feet on the floor.Plus various supplements that I would be happy to discuss with you.I found the socks on the internet via a mention on the page pertaining to PF links. Your solemate

Nadine on 1/12/99 at 00:00 (003290)

I guess we could call this the Nadine/Jude message section. Thanks again. I can put the socks on after the provacative evening is over. HA .. Seriously,, I am not making light of any pain.. it is truly excrutiating. I had no idea either when the diagnosis came about 3 weeks ago, what my problem was, nor the severity of the diagnosis. I had one cortisone shot.. no real luck, and am not going into it again in the near future. Doc did recommend that night splint, but I worry so much about the achilles going bonkers. Oh well,, thanks... I feel like I know you all already. Your friend in pain also.

Joyce on 1/12/99 at 00:00 (003315)

Jude: I was really interested in the comment you made on the Strassburg Socks. Where can I get them? My doctor didn't say anything about them, but he did tell me that my legs are out of alignment, and that causes the problems with my feet. The left one is the worse, but both of them give me trouble. The x-rays showed bone spurs on both feet.

Any information you can give me on the Strassburg Socks would be helpful. Thanks -- Joyce

Jude on 1/13/99 at 00:00 (003345)

Hi Joyce, I found the Strassberg socks at http://www.thesocks.com/ and the # is 1-800-452-0631 to order them.There is some debate about damaging the achilles tendon with them, but I have found it doesn't need to be a really tight stretch.In fact, now I am wearing them looser than I did at the beginning and still find I am having decent mornings, Who would have thought decent would sound so promising?They picked up the fuzz from my flannel sheets, so they are quite decrepit looking, but still do the job.Hey let me know if they work for you, as there isn't a whole lot about the sock on this board, you read more about night splints.Good luck, I am with you.

eta on 1/13/99 at 00:00 (003373)

I thought the same thing about them, until the other nite on my local news channel, they discussed a Scientific study that said that magnetic insoles DID help those who what foot pain...but I have not decided as to whether I will try them or not. I am taking suggestions that I find on here and going through them one at a time until I find one that works for me...

Bea on 1/14/99 at 00:00 (003412)

I have tried magnets on my achilles heel and they relieve the pain some but not all the time.