Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Advice

Posted by Matt on 1/13/99 at 00:00 (003347)

Hi! I can't believe I found this site. I didn't realize there were so many others 'like me.' My left ankle developed pain March 98 (I run 3 miles per day, 4-5 days per week). I eventually went to the Dr, took Advil, and in July received my first shot. The pain returned and in Jan 99 received 2nd shot (recently). The pain never went away. I am now concerned. I stretch the plantar and I have 'powerstep' insoles. My questions: Should I keep running and does this look like it is going to be surgery?

Re: Advice

Sandy in Ohio on 1/13/99 at 00:00 (003375)

Welcome! You wil find a wealth of information here! I'm not a runner; but I do exercise and use the exercise bike. Keep looking through the messages here and you can find your answer. Personlly, I would lay low on the running as you want to give your foot a rest. I've had 3 cortisone shots and they did not work. I started physical therapy today. I have 5 more sessions to go. I have to do special stretches 3 times a day so far. I hope it will help relieve the pain. Do you have problems walking first thing in the morning accompained by pain in the heel? That's common with PF.

Bea on 1/13/99 at 00:00 (003392)

Read the messages and payh particular attention to cortizone (not good) and surgury (Doen't work most of the time.) Read the messages carefully particularly the ones from people that have been through it all.

Matt on 1/14/99 at 00:00 (003399)

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure if running would further aggrivate the pf. I can tolerate the running when I put mineral ice on the ankle and then take advil afterwards, but I don't want to make it worse. It does hurt in the morning - it is classic pf. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Jill on 1/14/99 at 00:00 (003423)

Just found this site today. . .What a help. I have pain when I walk a lot in my left heel mostly - some days both. When I get up from my desk or wake in the morning, I walk like i'm ancient and crippled. My pain began last February after a step aerobics class and continues to this day. I saw an orthopedist July through end of September. He suggested stretching and gave me anti-inflammatory. . . So far, not much has happened. I have good and bad days . . .haven't ever iced before - will certainly try that tonight
I find a gentle roll of my arch over a tennis ball hidden under my desk at work helps to keep the arch stretched so I don't have major pain throughout the day...If anyone has any additional advice for me, fire away. . . If things don't improve within the next two weeks, I am going back to the doctor. . .